Last minute Panhandle food plot

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: Last minute Panhandle food plot

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:47 pm

Great job on the Buck. My advise is if you are healthy and it will improve your health, go for it. You seem to be in good physical shape and if it were me I'd get it taken care of. I'd bet that knee is working better than the old one. Anyways, god bless and you are in our prayers!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Sunday evening, an early update as I'll probably be out of commission for the next week or so.

Thank y'all for the good wishes and prayers concerning my total hip replacement that is supposed to be done tomorrow morning. Sure knocks a hole in deer season and Christmas. The doc said I might be ready for the woods in late January.

Speakin' of the woods, there were 9 does and fawns in our plot yesterday afternoon from 4-5pm. No antlers, one spike on the camera, the does' tarsal glands are not yet dark and nasty as they will be in a month when our rut will be gettin' under way.

Checked the card in the camera this afternoon and had some neat pictures but still nothing to shoot at. Got my PC back and able to send a few pictures. I get such a kick out of watching the little ones playing, wish I had that kind of energy. It's just good to sit and watch all the wondrous thing the Lord has made!

I'll not include at this time some pictures I took of bullet damage to both shoulder blades of the little 4 point. Might be a good thing to discuss when I'm recuperating next week or so.

Keep us in your prayers
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Good luck and Godspeed on the hip surgery.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Looks like the food plot will take a back seat for a few weeks, according to the doctor and Miss Joy. Had total hip replacement on the right side, Monday around noon and I'm sittin' at my computer, at home on Wednesday at around 5:30. Therapy will continue at home tomorrow and a home health group will check my incision and vital like they did back in June when I had the left knee replaced. Now if I can get one of my shoulders repaired I'll be 1/2 a man again. I'm going to try to wait a while on that issue.
Again thanks for the prayers and well wishes.
Ain't it amazing the knowledge that the Lord has allowed these doctors and nurses to obtain and to apply to these ol' worn out bodies!!!
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Glad to hear that.

:saluting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Hey Treefarmer, glad your hip replacement went well. I'm praying for a speedy full recovery.

I went up your way Dec 6-7th for the muzzle loader antlerless deer hunt in D-2. We only took home one doe. She was about average. That full moon did us no favors I think. They were hitting the corn hard but not when we could shoot them. The good thing is, my buddy Art, the crazy Russian bought a new Barnett crossbow so he could get an extra day in as we drove up on Thursday. He's the only one that got a deer and that was with his new bow. He was pretty happy.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:20 pm

A quick Christmas Eve food plot update:
We got 4.4 inches of rain since Sunday. Clouds and fairly warm weather does a food plot good. The rain appears to have caused the Rye to look mighty healthy, but today is the 1st time I've been in the woods since my hip replacement. The does are still coming, one of the yearlings has figured out where the corn comes from. Several pictures of it lickin' the spinner plate on the feeder. Doe days this coming Sat and Sun, I'll probably not be up to it yet.
Y'all have a great Christmas and somebody needs to kill a sure enough big boy!
Treefarmer

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:28 am

How it going up there? How the PT coming along?
I like animals, they are tasty!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:46 pm

Sam, the PT almost reminds me of PT at Parris Island 50 years ago! I guess "no pain-no gain" applies in most facets of life. The physical therapist doesn't spit, scream and jump up and down like a DI, but they still make you hurt. When it gets easy they simply crank it up a notch. Things are gettin' easier.

Sure miss bein' in the woods but I haven't missed anything according to my huntin' buddies around here. No decent antlers anywhere yet. From the looks of the deer pictures this week, the does are not really gettin' ready. One old doe has some darker tarsals but the others look like they are in the middle of summer.

To get to the woods, I have to back into the cart and kinda' ease back in the seat, but once I'm seated and start drivin', all I got to do is go real easy over the rough spots. Naturally I took my rifle this mornin' when I went to check the feeder and the camera. Miss Joy asked, "What you gonna' do if you kill one?" I told her I could find some help. The dog went nuts windin' when we got into the food plot, the pictures show the deer had been at the feeder about 30 minutes earlier. There was a different spike that would be legal for a youngster to shoot. He came in on Christmas night. The Rye looks good and the left over clover is jumpin' up between the dead dog fennels. The woods are a little wetter than they have been, looked about right this morning. We've had another couple of inches of rain and it makes things look great. Maybe things will get better once I'm able to climb the ladder again.
Here's a few pictures for this week.
Let me wish y'all a very Happy and Blessed New Year!
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 am

Yeah Farmer, you've got a lot of therapy in front of you because there is a lot of steps leading up to that box blind stand. You'll have to look at it like this, you'll probally sped more time in the stand because you'll probally not want to climb down as soon after making it up there.

:saluting
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Long story short. It's cold, 39 degrees, NW wind about 20 mph, supposed to be around 20 in the AM.
If I was able to hunt, I wouldn't be going in the AM. Maybe tomorrow evening but not in the AM.
Started walking more, made 2 trips from out to main dirt road, yesterday total of about 1 mile and I'm feeling muscles again that haven't done a lot in the last year. The therapist said I might be pushing it too much.

Saw pictures of 3 good bucks that were killed east of us, Jackson County, wall hangers, all of them! No bucks on the camera by the feeder. But the does are there eatin', the bucks don't have to show up on a picture. I tend to think the good ones stay away from the automatic feeders, but they will still be around and maybe our paths will cross after the doc releases me.

Same old pictures this week. One was interesting, as 3 ol' gals were keepin' an eye on something.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Another week without being in the woods, boy this gets old!

Went down in the woods this morning on the cart and got the card out of the camera with out hurtin' my self, while Miss Joy was runnin' some errands :nono . Good thing I went, the feeder had run dry! Checked the pictures, there were around 350, all around 7am and 4-5pm, not a buck coming in close to the automatic feeder or the camera. Apparently the feeder had run out yesterday afternoon, according to the pictures. We went to the feed store and got corn. On returning home, I told her I would go a fill the feeder before dinner, she said okay and off I went. Loaded the feeder and returned home no problems :rockon . According to the doctor I'm not to lift over 10 pounds till I see him next week, tomorrow will a month since the hip replacement, time to get on with life!

Weather in the panhandle has been cool and overcast for several days, several foggy mornings with the temperature around 50 degrees, great weather for sittin' in a shootin' house, if I was allowed to climb.

Our pastor's youngest son killed a deer last week and has asked if I would help them process it. That should be interesting as this is the boy's 1st deer.

Maybe I'll get a release from the surgeon to climb the ladder at the shootin' house next Tuesday. The only interestin' picture was a doe and yearlin' checking out why the corn wasn't comin' out this morning.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:23 pm

Boys, it's tough not being in the woods! The surgeon told me in 10 days he'd let me climb a ladder. Maybe we'll get to see an ol' buck chasing around the woods and into the rye patch during February.
Y'all saw the big deer our young friend killed, 135 4/8" 10 point. Several others have killed a deer including our pastor. This was his 1st, a nice 7 point. I told him I would help him take care of the deer and we dressed it, hung it in the oak tree for 2 days with a fly bag, then quartered him up and put him in a cooler before it got too warm. If the temperature will stay in the 30's at night and not get out of the low 50's, you can hang one in the tree for a while.
Checkin' the camera today, showed a regular morning/afternoon feeding pattern at the feeder and then spilling over into the rye. My experience in years past has been that when the does are feeding during the rut sooner or later a buck will come cruising and chasing. Lots of times it is right at dark, like after legal shooting time, but you can still see 'em runnin' and chasing , knowing it's a buck but not being able to see what it is.
Couple of pictures today showing how thick the fog was this morning and also the Preacher's 1st deer.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Almost feel like a kid at Christmas! Friday mornin', January30th, the doctor said I could climb and drive! Now if it ain't too cold, I'll try to sit in the shootin' house for the 1st time since Thanksgiving. No tellin' how many monster bucks have chased them does and yearlins' around that little Rye patch while my new hip was healin' up and hairin' over! I know this, they haven't showed up at the automatic feeder and I really don't expect to see one at a motorized feeder. But the does are still comin' and bucks are still crusin' so there is a good chance to see a shooter before the season goes out.
There is still plenty of almost scheduled activity at the feeder, morning and evening.
The coons look to be almost as big around as this years fawns and there is a tall, lanky lookin', broken up spike, that hasn't a hint of color on his hocks, I see button bucks that at least have a little color on the hind legs in the pictures.
Lookin' forward to Friday mornin', but for sure Friday evening!
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:32 pm

Well Boys, the "Last minute panhandle food plot" is doin' its' job but the bucks ain't cooperatin'!
Since I've been able to return to the woods, I'm seeing plenty of does and yearlings but no cruising bucks at least not while I'm in the shooting house. Must admit, I've only been 1 morning, but did make 3 afternoons after the doctor said it was okay to climb. Saw a pretty good little spike, not legal for old meat hunters, only kids under 15. For some reason I ain't as mad at the deer as I used to be. Still haven't even been to our lease this year. Just gettin' old :crip .
As mentioned, there are plenty of does as many as 11 last Saturday afternoon, the least I've see was 6, just no antlers. There is one old doe that sure enough needs killin' :chain ! She can tell when I'm in the stand and she spends her whole evening in the Rye, watchin, starin', stompin', walkin' back and forth trying to get me to move! All the rest pay little attention to her, especially her own fawns. She's a light colored ol' gal and makes it interestin'! Miss Joy has asked me not to kill does on our place, it's okay on the lease but I missed out this season.
We've had a light rain all day with temperatures in the 40's, don't sound like Florida does it?
A few pics from the week.
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”