Need Advice on Lime Application

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Need Advice on Lime Application

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm

We just got our soil samples back from UF and have determined we need about 1 ton of lime per acre for most of our spots. We do not have enough acreage to have a bulk delivery made so we are looking at the alternatives. I just came across a liquid alternative that can be put down at planting and then again when growth reaches 4 to 5 inches. Has anyone used liquid lime before? Should we just stick to bagged products...pelletized vs powder?? Need some ideas, none of our plots are over 1 acres in size, we can get a full size truck to all of them.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Need Advice on Lime Application

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:00 pm

Triple Creek Reaper,
Some fertilizer dealers have buggies that can be rented to spread fertilizer or lime/dolomite.
They are pulled with a pickup truck and powered by engaging a small roller on the buggy tire that powers the spinners and chain. A buggy will pull easier with a tractor once it's in the field but a good 4X4 truck will do. Also some of the dealers will deliver it to your site, drop it and you hook to the buggy and go to all your food plots. Call 'em when you're done and they come get their buggy. We do this for our home garden and food plots since it's such a small amount of lime.
Our soil test usually come back with a minimum recommendation of 2 tons of lime per acre, y'all must have some pretty good dirt.
Treefarmer

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Don't know how big of areas you have to do. When we had to do mass areas (back in my Panama city lease), we got it in bulk from a farm co-op. They dumped it on a big utility trailer, and we wrapped it in a huge tarp and drove to the lease. There was nothing pretty about how we spread it. We took turns driving and shoveling. Driver would drive real slow and guys on the trailer would shovel and toss. It took copious amounts of beer to get it done...
Now, I cannot get a truck to my spots, so my ONLY option is bags of pelletized lime. It cost a bit more than pulverized, but will flow thru a spreader easily. If you get pulverized, you will need a drop spreader with a good auger in it. I got a Lesco commercial spreader with a 100# hopper an pneumatic tires so it makes it easy, being as I do all this stuff by myself.

Curious question?? How long did it take to get your soil results back from the time you sent it in? I am going to collect a sample this weekend and send it in next week. Curious to know where my PH is as I put out about 500# last spring
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 pm

How acidic are they saying it is? I landscape for a living and find most of the places I work are too alkaline ( typical in many parts of Florida). I add sulfur to increase the acid not reduce it. If their assumption is to make it neutral to grow non native plants, I guess that assumption works.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 pm

There's a place in Newberry that's sells it by the ton.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:23 am

Swiss, most timber lease land is highly acidic. If you are around pine trees you can almost bet you need mass amounts of lime. Last time I did a soil sample my results came back with a PH around 4.5.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 pm

To answer the questions above. It took 7 days to get our samples back from UF. One of my members went down to the Orange County AG office to pick up sample collections kits. This is the way to go, they are very precise in the way they want you to collect the samples, I am sure this saves time for everyone. The other thing you need to know is that they will ask you what you are planting in your areas to arrive at their conclusions. The PH on our lease was in a range of 5.0 to 5.3 and our desired crops were requiring PH of 6.0 to 6.5. Lime application ranging from 1,907 lb to 3,487 lb per acre. We are on timber lease but our plot sites are old logging decks and wood roads on the edge of cypress heads. When I get a chance I will take a pick of the sample application so you can see the selections given to you for crops.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:46 pm

This is where I have sent samples before
http://soilslab.ifas.ufl.edu/ESTL_files/SS18700.pdf

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:51 pm

Here you go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Can you send me a link to that? This is slightly different than what I have bbokmarked

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:41 pm

It was e-mailed to us directly from the testing lab, pm me your e-mail address and I will forward it on.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:58 pm

I found it. It was on the same page, just under a different link. :toast

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”