"Z" shaped plot renewed for 2015-16

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: "Z" shaped plot renewed for 2015-16

Post by treefarmer » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:24 pm

We had a special pre-Valentine's Day supper tonight here at Starvation Plantation.
I thawed out some tenderloins, got some smoked bacon and wrapped them full length after seasoning with Everglades Seasoning. Put them in the oven and broiled them 4 minutes and turned them for another 4 minutes. Miss Joy made us a quick stir fry with some leftover rice and veggies. A couple of big glasses of Red Diamond iced tea and we were in business. Didn't have to go to town and fight the crowds for a Valentine supper!
A couple of pictures to support my tale. It's good when the results of a food plot can be enjoyed on a special occasion.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm

The season is winding down and I have a theory I'd like to share. Not sure about common core math and how it works, but "this" plus "this" equals "this". Daytime appearances, uninvited dogs then we have a nocturnal buck. There has been very little pressure on this deer, in fact I haven't been to this stand but one morning this whole season and just a few afternoons, he was showing up regularly on the camera in the mornings, now he seems to be a night time traveler. Have no problem with dog hunting as long as it's done on the dog owners lease or property. Then there's the possibility, "this" plus "this" didn't equal "this", the 6 point may have change his habits even though the dogs have run these woods on several occasions the last week or so.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 pm

Today was the last day of Muzzle loading season. I'm ashamed to say I only went one time and that was this afternoon. Also have to report I never hunted a day on our lease the whole season.

I did go to the lease one day last week and found my automatic feeder motor had quit working apparently right after we filled it right before hunting season, the barrel was still full of shelled corn. I let a couple of gallons out on the ground and thought about settin' in the stand during the M/L this past week but never made it. While checking out the feeder I noticed several small pines around the food plot were covered with clay up about 2 or 2 1/2 feet, sad to say the hogs have finally invaded that property.

Getting old and dealing with health issues has slowed my huntin' down considerably. This was the 1st year that I can remember in a long time that I haven't killed multiple deer. Last year I only killed 2, I guess I should have seen the "hand writin' on the wall"! I am thankful for the 8 point this season! Some of the does are still showing dark tarsal glands, some are clean according to the weekly camera check. I get a lot of enjoyment using the game cameras.

We'll probably try and develop a special food plot and build a shooting house for our grandsons this season. The main plot here on our place can be a little bit intimidating to young shooters. Shortening up the shooting distances to 50 or 60 yards ought to help the 10 and 12 year old boys after they master the .243 come Thanksgiving Day, 2016!
A couple of pictures from last week.
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:51 pm

That's a good idea of setting up a special spot for the grandchildren. One of my members had his 2 young sons both score this year. His 14 year old got his 1st archery buck and his 10 year old got his first doe. Everyone worked together to put those boys right on top of the deer, really teaches them to sit still and watch/listen carefully. Both got a shot within 25 yards. Good luck
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:16 pm

Nice spot there
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Man those tenderloins looked awesome! I'll bet they tasted even better. You have a nice spread there brother that seems to produce well for you. It's good to get your grandkid's into hunting. It's a dying thing it seems in our nation. If the tree huggers had their way, we'd all be depending on the supermarkets for our meat. Dang shame too because if they ever tasted what you have in the above photos, I guarantee they'd change their minds! I guess unless they were vegetarians...

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”