"Z" shaped plot renewed for 2015-16

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Re: "Z" shaped plot renewed for 2015-16

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:16 am

Man, that looks good. I'll come up and shoot some for you! My Jan trip to the panhandle got cancelled. Ugh.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:30 pm

Would like to have a big tale to tell about killin' ol' big boy but the truth is I haven't felt like climbing the ladder to the shooting house. Had a terrible sciatica issue on my left side for most of December. I had my right knee scoped in September and as a result of the sciatica deal, I must have put too much on the right side and that knee is as sore as it was right after the scoping. One good thing, the new right hip hasn't been a problem. All that said, I need to wrap the front of my ol' cart with a camo cloth and park it down wind from the plot and the feeder. Let me say one other thing, it ain't easy gettin' old!
I'm going to try and post a few pictures of several of the bucks that show up regularly on the camera. Nothing spectacular but any legal buck is fine with this ol' man. I love them big antlers but they ain't got much flavor.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Looks good farmer, you'll have to sit down wind and wait for ole boy to step out.

:saluting
Bossman

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Man, that's a fine looking buck. He's filled out nice! You should get yourself a ground blind and set it up. Just wear some sent killer. :>)

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Fixin' to go to the woods in about an hour, thought I would update the "Z" plot.
Both ends are standing in water due to the heavy rains we had in December and so far this month, we've had 4 inches. It's just plumb wet!
Tried wrapping the cart with camo cloth and sittin' on the ground. Boy that is hard to do after hunting from elevated stands for close to 50 years! Sat 2 different evenings and just wasn't happy with it, so Monday evening I bit the bullet and climbed up in the shootin' house, what a difference 14 feet make! Saw 5 does that evening, 3 on Tuesday evening and then Thursday afternoon there were 2 coons. Maybe a legal buck will show up this afternoon! According to the camera there are 4 or 5 shooters that are still around. Noticed the tarsal glands on the bigger does were all dark so the rut is progressing. Maybe these old knees will allow me to climb the ladder with out too much problem, I know I have to be very deliberate when I climb up or down, not like I used to do.
Here's a couple of pictures from Monday afternoon, wet Rye patch and a fuzzy picture of the 5 that came out.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Dang farmer you always seem to be in a funnel for the rain. You always have options, hunt every day in the camo cart until they get use to it like a blind. You could spend $300 for a Ghost Blind set up. Get Mrs. Joy to lift ya up in the tractor. Or just bare the pain of climbing. This weekend will be the first time hunting in a month. Been on call at work and haven't had the chance to hunt.

Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Well I finally got up in the shootin' house Thursday evening.

It was raining and we had several deer coming towards the feeder in the pines when I spotted a big doe hanging back in the pines. Behind her another deer that I could not see its head. When the big doe finally moved the other deer started following her and I could see it was a buck.

The buck ran the doe for several rounds before he stopped in a place where I could get a shot. He is one of the 8 point bucks that has been on camera at night. The rut is on in the panhandle!

As you can see from the pictures it's wet in our part of the world. I was afraid I'd couldn't get the deer out with the cart and it was so boggy, I figured I'd probably stick my 4X4 pickup, so I took the 4 wheel drive tractor and scooped him up.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:59 am

Well done treefarmer good stuff
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Good deal! All that hard work paid off!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:07 pm

It was meant to be, that ole buck was just waiting for you to get back in the shooting house. Congrats.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:09 pm

Way to go Farmer, you have done a fine job once again.

Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks for the compliments fellers!
Started workin' on ol' buck today. A friend brought another deer Friday so I have 2 to process.
Today I boned out the shoulders and made the 4 backstraps into boneless venison chops. The good lean venison from the shoulders goes into ground venison pile and that with too much silver skin goes in the sausage pile, shanks, rib meat, etc..
Here's a couple of pictures of puttin' the chops in the vacuum sealer.
I'll probably stay out of the woods till I get these processed, but hope to be in the shootin' house maybe Friday afternoon, there's still a nice lookin' 6 pt hangin' around.
The woods, our back yard, the garden plots and the cultivated fields are so wet we could do wonders with an airboat!
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Dang! Nice job man! That's a fine looking buck you shot. Well done.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:27 am

Great work!!!
I like animals, they are tasty!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:37 pm

Well, we're gettin' down to the short rows, 10 days left for rifle season then 7 days of Muzzle loader.

I ought to be able to kill the 6 point that's still hanging around. When I first retired I was able to stay with 'em in the woods but gettin' on in years has made it a little more difficult to do. The new knee and the new hip are great, but the other knee and the 2 shoulders make it tough compared to 5 or 6 years ago. Some days it's too cold, some days I just don't feel like going.

Haven't been to the lease this year. I told Miss Joy we're probably goin' to starve to death if I don't kill a few more deer, she gave me the "look". It's a real change after so many years of killing 3,4,5 every season not to be able to get it done. But hey, I'm thankful for the 8 point this season and the one my friend gave me in exchange for making a few pounds of jerky for his grandson.

The Lord has blessed me with enough memories if I never kill another one, to get by! At one time I could remember where most of the racks came from and the details of the kill, but now there are a few that stand out that give me a lot of pleasure to share a tale or two with somebody that's interested.

The "Z" shaped rye patch is still being used, the rascals have to wade to get in it. The high spots are still producing green shoots and some clover is being utilized the few evenings I have sat in the stand. Been seein' a grey fox the last 2 times I sat. Here's the 6 point again and some of the does and yearlings that are on the camera this week.
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”