2016 Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

hunter1005
scout

Re: 2016 Garden

Post by hunter1005 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 am

I am going to try growing some sweet potatoes next year. Right now, I am starting a second season corn and then in sept going to start sowing in the greens , beans.

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:48 am

found somebody else who loved my garden this year -- a pocket gopher. Set a trap 2x and he got passed it. Well the other day he was starting a new mound and I set the trap. He got nicked good by one of the trap prongs. Now hopefully he will leave or die.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:50 pm

Getting ready to plow mine under and prepare for a fall planting. Have some plans for a small expansion as well.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:11 pm

hunter1005 wrote:video for self watering system. I use this system for tomatoes.
That's a cool system. It looks easy enough to make.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:18 pm

hunter1005 wrote:I am going to try growing some sweet potatoes next year. Right now, I am starting a second season corn and then in sept going to start sowing in the greens , beans.
Sweet potatoes are really easy. So is eggplant (at least the Icabahn Japanese eggplant). I did have some critters eating some of the eggplant but it looked like they only went after some that were bad. I'm guessing squirrels. They can have the bad ones. Man I picked about 12 of those things yesterday. We have eggplant coming out of our ears. I had to prop up the plants and cage a couple of them because they're getting too heavy.

I've already turned under a bed for fall. Thinking about putting out some turnips and some peas. I'm also going to build another bed and put in a herb garden for my wife.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Decided to grill up my harvest today:-) they turned out pretty dang good!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 pm

That zucchini looks mighty good, but those pieces of red meat look even better! I'm assuming those are "boneless chop" or as we usually say back strap.
Treefarmer

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:22 am

treefarmer wrote:That zucchini looks mighty good, but those pieces of red meat look even better! I'm assuming those are "boneless chop" or as we usually say back strap.
Treefarmer
Haha, believe it or not, those were my eggplant. It's the Japanese variety. The meat is some good sirloin. Man it was amazing. I have some backstrap in the freezer that I traded for eggplant the other day. That'll be on the grill next!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 am

Just plowed under the garden this weekend. My son had 3 of his friends over Friday night, so I turned all of them loose in the garden with various implements of destruction Saturday morning. It was hot and I did hear some complaining but I told them...when do you ever get to tear something up and not get in trouble for it. Don't think I have ever seen someone using a shovel as an ax before but what the heck...I can tell you what to do or how to do it, I wont do both...as long as it gets done.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Just plowed under the garden this weekend. My son had 3 of his friends over Friday night, so I turned all of them loose in the garden with various implements of destruction Saturday morning. It was hot and I did hear some complaining but I told them...when do you ever get to tear something up and not get in trouble for it. Don't think I have ever seen someone using a shovel as an ax before but what the heck...I can tell you what to do or how to do it, I wont do both...as long as it gets done.
Yeah, my peppers have all but stopped producing. I can't figure it out other than I guess they're just tired... I've been thinking about pulling those.

I started my fall garden yesterday in a seed starter. I planted: turnip greens, Bok Choy (got those seeds from a friend in Spring Hill), green beans, yellow squash (Dixie Hybrid), and of course tomatoes. We'll see how they do. It should be a couple of weeks at least before I can transfer them to the ground. By then I'll have some mounds for the squash and the other beds turned and ready for the new stuff. Hopefully it'll start to cool down a bit at night soon.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:50 pm

I am putting everything straight into the ground except for the cauliflower. This fall I am trying pumpkin and butternut squash for the 1st time along with collards, spinach & arugula.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:26 pm

Man, after 4 days those seed have taken off! Everything looks to be doing well but the tomatoes. Some of those didn't sprout, could be because of old seeds though.

Top to bottom are:

Squash
Turnips
Beans
Tomatoes
Bok Choy
Seed Starter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I transplanted all the sprouts to some plastic cups full of potting mix with holes punched in the bottom for drainage. I put them in tubs to catch the water. I also labeled each cup with a sharpie. I'm keeping them in the garage now with a light over them for about 8hrs a day. I also have a fan blowing in them for the same amount of time.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:30 pm

image.jpeg
Well tilled my spots and wife has been starting all here seeds. Also moved her blackberry
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:04 pm

I harvested a few sweet potatoes and eggplant on Friday for supper. My wife baked the sweet potatoes and I breaded the eggplant with an egg bath, panko and Parmesan and fried them up. Had all that with a fresh salad and a hunk of medium rare prime rib from my friends farm up in Laurel Hill. It was all amazing!

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”