2016 Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Re: 2016 Garden

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:02 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:dam makes me want to go out and disc my land and plant.. but i don't want to die. its hot as hell!!!
Yeah it's been crazy hot. My wife's car said 101 yesterday around 3pm. Then there's all the humidity to add insult to injury. Must be that global warming (oops climate change) monster all the nut cases were talking about... Haha, nah I remember it being crazy hot when I was growing up in Florida, now my old body just don't take it so well anymore. Back then I'd try to spend most of my time in the water somewhere at a spring or sinkhole or something. Now it's just work and more work and when I'm home, it's yard work... All I'm sayin' is thank the Lord I have a pool to cool off in afterward or else I'd be planted in the garden by now :>P

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 am

Today's harvest. Some of the sweet potatoes are huge! I guess I overlooked them before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Got out this morning and decided to start on a compost bin. I've had the scrap lumber for a while a finally put it to good use. This is phase 1. It measures 3ft x 6.5ft x 3ft. I plan on getting some chicken wire to put between the slats so it can breathe good. I'm also going to put a divider in there so I can start a pile, then flip it into the next bin and start a new one.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Your banana are going to love you with that compost so close by!!!
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:16 am

I installed the netting for between the slats. I was going to use chicken wire until I discovered this PVC netting at HD. It was cheaper and came in a 3.5ft x 40ft roll for $12. It's pretty tough too. I figured if I happen to stick a shovel through it it'll be cheap enough to replace without a lot of effort. I also bought 4 "L" brackets and bent them in my vise for hangers for the removable gate I'll build for the front along with a couple of handles to make it easier to lift it off the hangers. I painted them black for aesthetics :>P

Now the last photo is what I discovered when I pulled up my okra. I thought the rain had killed them but it looks like the dreaded nematode attacks. Oh well. They went to the trash can. I won't be composting those.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 am

Hate to see that on your okra, mine have reached over 6ft and still throwing off a batch every 4 to 5 days. I have never been so lucky with the okra as I have this year.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:Hate to see that on your okra, mine have reached over 6ft and still throwing off a batch every 4 to 5 days. I have never been so lucky with the okra as I have this year.
Yeah mine were doing great up until about a week ago. Then the leaves started dropping and the stems turned brown at the bottom so I figured they got too much water. I'll figure something out for next year. I love me some fried okra!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 am

I built the gate for my compost bin yesterday. I purchased some pressure treated 2x4s because my scrap was interior lumber. I'm debating on whether to put a divider in it before I fill it with all the yard waste I've been collecting. The gate turned out well and functions as advertised. :-)

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Well I decided to go ahead and put in the divider. I was going to use some 3/4" plywood I had in the garage but I thought that it would warp and come apart pretty quickly with all the moisture so I opted for some old tongue and groove shelving I had laying around. I had to piece a couple of pieces together to make the 40" width I needed. I put some varnish on it to help weather proof it. It's drying in the garage. I'll get a picture up when I get it all together. I used some stained furring strips for the guides.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:25 am

dam nice composter! I need to build another one. The tore down the pallet one i built a couple years ago cause it was in the area i wanted to put the goat pen.
I like animals, they are tasty!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:21 am

Wish I had that problem. I don't have room for goats or chickens and I'd really like to have both. Plus some bees but I have a granddaughter that's highly allergic so that's out. I may investigate a small fish farm. I saw a setup in Craigslist for about $300 that someone had built out of a couple of those big square liquid storage containers. It looked pretty cool but I didn't have the $$ to spend.

Anyhow the rain let up enough for me to put my divider in. It fits well. Now all I need to do is fill that sucker up and wait for the magic to happen! I spent about $30 on the whole thing. Not too bad for what I should get in return.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Well I got out and moved my pile of yard waste into the compost bin. I put about 8 wheelbarrows full in that thing. I didn't fill it to the top so I probably could have added about 4 more. The newer stuff is on the bottom of the pile. I added some eggshells, coffee grounds and some rotten bananas to the mix as well.

I also harvested some sweet potatoes, eggplant and a few peppers. The peppers are getting too much water I'm afraid. I put down some calcium to help them out. Hopefully they'll pick back up. On the other hand my bananas are kicking butt! I've already harvested two stalks full and I have four more growing now. It's a good year for bananas!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Wow, I've been posting from my iPhone. Sorry, I didn't know the photos would be sideways. They're a bit hard to look at on the computer :>P

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm

video for self watering system. I use this system for tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... qlKw70-1XQ

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:36 am

loquat jam is awesome. My neighbor made some of the best jam. Squirrels love loquats too.

If you interested found this zone 9 planting calendar.

http://www.morningstarfishermen.org/upl ... e_9_11.pdf

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”