Food plot for 2 grandsons

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Food plot for 2 grandsons

Post by Bossman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:37 pm

That looks like a heavy buck for sure. I hate to hear that one of the grand youngins didn't get to shoot him. Its kinda like last night I had the youngest daughter with me hoping for her to see something to shoot when I had hogs walk out on me. I watched them for 30 minutes hoping that she would have something walk out. When she text me to tell me she was coming out I had to drop the hammer. Congrats Farmer.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Things are not exactly like I would prefer at this point in the season. After the devastating drought, we now have more water than we need. Maybe that's not an accurate statement, I should say, "We have more water than I want!" It is what it is and the dry then wet and now cold has really put a hurtin' on the cool weather plots. Other years the cereal grains would be close to knee high by now. We had a frost back pretty early but every thing had greened up in the woods and there seemed to be little interest in either plot, wheat patch or the rye patch.
Here's a picture to update the wheat patch, it is still about a third under water. This is the plot the doe waded and grazed across that led to killing the 6 point New Years afternoon. As you can see it is wet!
DSCN2915r.jpg
Last Saturday afternoon, the 7th, the wind was out of the north at about 20 mph, the temperature in the shooting house was 39 degrees. I had got there a little before 4pm, the feeder went off at 4:01. At 4:24 deer started coming out of the woods from the west into the planted pines heading for the feeder. As I watched through the binoculars, I counted 10 deer, all butt heads. There were a dozen or so doves around the feeder and something caused them to all fly off at once, that spooked the already nervous does and they promptly filed back into the rough woods. They didn't run, just a fast walk back in to the thick stuff. I noticed the time it was 4:28. I thought for sure a buck would have been trailing a couple in a bunch that big.
Yesterday afternoon, it was still cold, about 40 but without the wind. There was still ice in the shade as the low morning temperature was 25 degrees and the high about 50. I had two neighborhood dogs come through the planted pines about 4:15. I had a chance but didn't take it, if you know what I mean. They promptly jumped a deer in the thick and ran east and circled back to the west through the planted pines. They were running a single doe. She stopped in the pines and looked back for a few seconds before diving back into the thick stuff. When the hounds got to the place she had stopped, the seemed confused for a short time, milling around trying to figure the scent trail. They lined out again behind the doe and went out of hearing. Another hunt ruined by some inconsiderate neighbors.
Back in the same stand this afternoon for a short set, temperature was great, right at 50 degrees but I only saw two redbirds (Cardinals) at the feeder. No does, no bucks and no errors!
Maybe things will get better as we get closer to the 3rd week of January, the peak of the rut in this part of the Panhandle.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:16 pm

Hey Treefarmer,

Great blog. It's been awhile since I've logged on. Your threads on the food plots have always been awesome. Great job. Hope all is well with you and your family.

All is well here in Moore County, NC.

Gunboy

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

We have a saying at our camp, anytime you see a cardinal from the stand might as well hang it up, aint gonna see nothing that day. Not sure why but it happens to everyone at our place.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Hey, M-12Gunboy! Great to hear from you! Things are a little slow around here, it was 79 degrees today but the rut is on, even if it has warmed up.
We still have 3 different bucks showing up on camera, two are legal. Maybe they'll make a mistake one of these days.
Thought I'd share a picture of a first time on camera visitor. I've killed 2 of these critters in this same area several years ago, wish he'd show up during legal shooting hours.
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”