Food plot for 2 grandsons

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Food plot for 2 grandsons

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Some of my members use the Big & J attractant in the feeders. Towards the end of the season I switch over to corn on the cob placed in a pile on the ground instead of filling the pipe feeders. The deer seem more interested in it than the shelled corn & they stay longer while feeding as well. It takes them a while to work their way through it too.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:10 pm

It's 19 days till opening day in Zone D. It's been about 50 days since we've had a measurable rain, needles to say it is very dry.
The 2 food plots I planted are not looking very good. The one for the Grandsons Plot had to be planted and it has only germinated in the shady places of the plot. Logic tells me there was a little bit more moisture in the areas that the sun didn't bake. Against my better judgment I also planted the larger plot at the same time. Probably one third of it is up. Hoping the seed is still good and only needing a rain. This plot will be for our regular season, the one for the boys is only 4 days long.
Been looking into the suggestion made by Triple Creek Reaper about the Big and J attractant at the boys stand.
There are a couple of small bucks showing up on the cameras. By the way, my Moultrie D55IR started taking about 40 pictures an hour, 24-7, whether any thing triggered it or not. Replaced it with a M-888 and an A-Series Moultrie, they seem to do well. Here's a couple of pictures of what we are hoping to see and how the larger plot looks without rain.
MFDC0513r.jpg
DSCN2628r.jpg
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Nice come on thanksgiving.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 am

Thanksgiving Day, opening morning for Zone D is only a few days off. And as of today, we've been 64 days with out a measurable rainfall. What came up in the food plots is being eaten down to the dirt. You can still see it but it's not very promising. There are still 4 little bucks hanging around the place. It would be great if one would show up Thanksgiving afternoon and then another on Friday afternoon for the grandsons. It is what it is and we're thankful for the opportunity to be with family and to try to pass on to the younger generation a love for God's beautiful creation, even if it is dry and dusty!
Treefarmer
MFDC4085r.jpg
MFDC4049r.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Hey farmer, we missed the opening day hunt story. I was hoping for two days of killing now we're going to have to wait.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:01 am

Bossman, we'll bring y'all up to speed when things get leveled out in a day or so.
Treefarmer

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:32 pm

We are all familiar with the sayin', "The best laid plans of mice and men...".

All this started back in the spring when the grandsons helped build a small shooting house on skids. The small food plot was planted with Iron and Clay peas and it did well, then we cut the peas in and planted Rye grain in hopes that it would rain and be about a foot high come Thanksgiving Day. No rain since it was planted. (Today is the 70th day without measurable rainfall on our place. But it is looking like we are going to get some soon according to the radar.) The Rye came up in the shady sides of the plot and on the shade side of the trees in the plot but has failed to come up in the major portion of the patch. If we get this rain, we will know in a few days if the other seed in the ground is still good.

There is a automatic feeder that feeds twice a day, 7am and 4pm, the deer know where it is, as a camera shows lots of activity The 1st hunt with #1 grandson was Thanksgiving Day beginning around 3:45. A neighbor decided at the same time to zero in some kind of a gun, he shot almost till dark. One big doe came out kinda' late, walked from the south up the middle of the plot and on to the feeder. She was very nervous, she knew something wasn't quite right but never winded us in the ground level shooting house. I don't know if #1 could have quietly gotten his rifle up if it had been a buck. He was pretty quiet but still moved way too much for it to be perfect. We went again on Friday morning for a little while but it was totally void of any critters or birds.

On Friday afternoon it was #2's turn to hunt. He is 11, #1 is 12. On the way to the plot he said, "Granddaddy, I don't think I want to shoot a deer." I said that's okay but then asked what changed his mind? He told me he was listening to a conversation his dad and another man were having (on speaker phone) concerning the man's son that had crippled a deer several weeks ago up in Georgia and how they had finally finished him off. #2 said, "Granddaddy, I don't want to take that chance." This little feller was exploding milk jugs filled with water at 100 yards with a .243 and still wasn't sure of his ability, his decision made me very proud! We were rewarded with a visit from a grey fox. It came to the feeder and then crossed the plot and was about 20 feet from us as it passed by the stand. We really got a good look at the fox.

Regular rifle season comes back in on December 10, maybe I'll be motivated enough to get after Bambi by then.
Here's a few pictures of our Thanksgiving hunt.
Treefarmer
DSCN2663r.jpg
DSCN2670r.jpg
DSCN2701r.jpg

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:35 pm

Good Stuff farmer! I remember when my girls decided not to shot a hog because it was poor and they wanted to let it fatten up a little. The one thing that I missed was Thanksgiving days menu. Like on Hee Haw when Grandpaw Jones (I think that was who would do it) would always tell everybody what was for dinner. UMMM UMMM!
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Great story and good job raising good parents for them grandkids.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:37 pm

Since I didn't start a separate tale about the other food plot, I'll just continue both on this thread, as I will be sittin' in the boy's shootin' house from time to time.
The wheat planted in the bigger plot during the drought is finally coming up. Only a small portion germinated at first but since the drought has broken we're seein' what looks to be a pretty fair stand. The deer are workin' on it pretty hard even thought it should be close to a foot high by now. Maybe it will be more palatable later in the season as it sometimes is seeding out by the middle of February. This afternoon 2 does and a yearling came wading across the muddy bottom pickin' at the new sprouts. They came into the field from behind me and hit my scent from the condo and got real nervous for a while. Usually they show up about a hundred yards from the stand and scent control is not such a problem. I did notice the tarsal glands on the 2 does were staring to darken, so the rut is fixin' to start in this part of Florida.
I'm adding a couple of pictures of what's going on.
Treefarmer
DSCN2745r.jpg
DSCN2742r.jpg
MFDC9199r.jpg

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Its a harem, that old buck shouldn't be too far away from these ladies, looks like a solid 3 generations standing out there.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Wow that looks good
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:18 pm

Checked my camera's this am and was impressed by one ol' gal. She just looks healthy, no rib showing and look at her bag, strutted like a milk cow. She isn't showing much sign of estrus, there is a little color on the tarsals, but we know the rut is coming! Haven't caught a buck on camera for several weeks, keep tellin' my self to be patient.
Treefarmer
MFDC9500r.jpg

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:45 pm

This little episode took place this afternoon, January 1, 2017.
It was sprinkling rain, I was in the shooting house on the larger plot a little before 4pm.
A small doe was in the pines and around the corn feeder before it went off. She spooked and ran when it went off but soon returned and fed on the corn that the feeder had put out. She finally left and worked her way out of sight in the woods to the west of the wheat plot. She showed back up in the wheat and fed diagonally across toward the southeast corner of the plot.
I love to have a single deer in a situation like this, they never miss a thing. If they go to lookin' at something you might want to figure out what they are interested in, especially during the rut.
Everything fell in place, she was starin' at something and I finally could see it was a deer. The deer finally moved out of the bushes enough to see it was a buck, the rest is history. He was one of the 6 points that had been on camera off and on earlier in the year, wish the grandson had got him but I'll send him a picture and he'll certainly help us eat some of the buck.
Treefarmer
DSCN2895r.jpg
DSCN2903r.jpg
DSCN2906r.jpg

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:36 am

Well done good size deer there. Freezer and stories full for another year.
Good job
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”