Re: New food plot for 2017-18

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:31 pm

Congrats . My season is done also getting ready for bees season
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 pm

I have 2 cameras running at our place and found some interesting pictures the last week or so.
The 1st picture is of the 8 point I killed on the 16th. This was the 1st time this buck was seen on camera. The picture was the day before he showed up by the food plot.
The other camera caught 2 different buck fights. The 1st set is of 2 spikes squaring off. Granted, still pictures aren't as exciting as the videos on the hunting shows but at least fights do take place. The 2nd set is of 2 bucks that are a little bit more mature, notice the posture once the intruder is spotted and in the end it appears the original buck won the match, he is a 6 point, forks on each side with very small brow tines. The other one that appears to be bigger has some broken points.
The rut is going wide open, the woods are full of scrapes, there is even one in the edge of our yard.
Hope y'all enjoy the pictures. (I think I'll have to have two posts to get all the pictures up.)
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Pictures continued:
MFDC5142r.jpg
MFDC5146.JPG
MFDC5155.JPG
MFDC5171r.jpg
MFDC5174r.jpg
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Very nice next years are looking great, your grandkids coming back to hunt .
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:32 am

The season is all but over. Last evening was the end of regular gun season, this morning started 7 days of M/L. Haven't got energy enough to get interested, yet.
The camera is still the most fun! Here are two pictures from last week, a good buck and a wad of does and youngsters.
I wouldn't mind takin' a crack at that buck with the muzzle loader!
Treefarmer
MFDC7024r.jpg
MFDC7698r.jpg

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Damn!! All i got on my property is 3 does and 1 Splike!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Well the season is finally over and I didn't kill another deer. To be completely honest I didn't really try too hard, some how I'm not as mad at 'em as I used to be. Gettin' older makes it harder to work at it like I once did. But be assured you can't beat a good dinner of fried venison ham with peas and rice or maybe a special supper with some broiled tender loins wrapped in bacon. And let's not forget about the sausages, it'll be time to make them pretty soon.
The Durana Clover is looking real good! A few afternoons I observed deer picking at it before the general gun season was over. It appears to have a few weeds in it and maybe even a little bit of Rye Grass.
DSCN4348r.jpg
Since the M/L season ended Sunday evening this one decided to give up his nocturnal schedule:
MFDC8330r.jpg
Maybe this one will make it till next season, he's a good one for around here. I notice he has a forked brow tine.
MFDC8423r.jpg
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm

damn farmer.. would love to have the opportunity to hunt your property and get me a wall hanger!..

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Found my game camera batteries had died and only had a few uninteresting pictures around the feeder but took a picture of the Durana clover planted back in October and the Oat patch, some of the oat plants are going to seed, (making oat seed) and there is a lot of left over/volunteer white clover in the areas of the food plot that was not planted last fall.
Getting ready for planting our garden and probably something for Bambi, I had to replace 5 disk blades on my old harrow. Hadn't finished but do have new blades on the axles. Now comes the fun part, hanging the axles back under the frame. It used to be just a regular job but now it's a big job as I'm gettin' older.
We are looking for freezing temperatures tonight, lots of folks reported frost this morning in the Panhandle.
Treefarmer
DSCN4359r.jpg
DSCN4361r.jpg
DSCN4357r.jpg

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:05 am

Good work man.. i have to get a disc for my atv and im going to plant a foodplot by my pond. Just gotta get up money to buy one. Haft worked in 4 months so i fell behind..

Your setup if my dream! Great work. Keep us posted! Pics look good. Keep em coming.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Our grandsons spent a few days with us earlier in the week and in addition to fishing, learned how to do a controlled burn.
I had cut fire lines a week or so back before the last rain and was ready for the boys to help me do the burn. As it ended up, they did all of the burn by themselves, under my watchful eye.
Tuesday morning it was very foggy, so we waited till after dinner and my nap to do the burn. We had a fairly steady southwest wind when we started the burn on the northeast side of the tract of pines. The wind changed on us, so we moved to the south side and fired it from east to west, going counter clock wise around the pines. I think the boys learned a little about controlled burns and why it is important for the safety and health of the planted pines and to improve the deer habitat.
Here are a few pictures of the project.
Treefarmer
DSCN4453r.jpg
DSCN4464r.jpg
DSCN4465r.jpg
DSCN4471r.jpg
DSCN4475r.jpg

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Nice job
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:15 pm

I've got a few more pictures that might be of interest to this on going thread concerning the controlled burn.
When we burned the pines, I almost forgot to remove the camera from the woods as it was actually on a tree that was surrounded by lots of flammable dry weeds and there was also a scar on the back side of the pine that was bleeding pine resin. We drove in and rescued the camera as the fire was closing in on the camera from two directions. All this said, we returned the camera to its' mount within an hour of the fire being mostly out.
I was almost surprised to see deer back at the feeder only a few hours after the fire had gone through the stand of pines, check the time and date on the pics.
Treefarmer
MFDC9908r.jpg
MFDC9925r.jpg
MFDC9988r.jpg
MFDC0016r.jpg

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Them girls like them golden kernels. they just seem to never get enough.
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Yeah they do, Bossman! That feeder is set to run once a day during the off season. It runs for about 3 seconds. The older does have learned to lick the spinner plate for the corn, enough falls on the ground for the little ones to know where the feeder is located. It has been in this spot now for quite a few years.
Treefarmer

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”