Spring 2018 Garden

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Spring 2018 Garden

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 am

What's every ones plan this spring? We installed a bunch of raised bed gardens this year. Put it in this past Sunday, collards and peas are already out of the ground in force. Dedicated a large bed to mammoth sunflowers for my wife. Trying 4 different varieties of tomatoes and have some jalapenos and bell peppers all ready started. Trying 1 new veg this year, mini egg plant, hoping I can get it trellised up and producing. My son & I are building a potting table for his mother to place in the garden. She's really looking forward to it. Seems like a good idea, gives me somewhere to cut up & clean the harvest before dragging it inside.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Spring 2018 Garden

Post by treefarmer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 am

T C R,
We made some raised beds quite a few years ago along the side of our regular garden plot. We used old cross ties, double stacked, for the long side and then used treated 2xs for the ends. The beds were then filled with mushroom compost. Now many seasons later we are still using the beds where we always plant tomatoes, several varieties of peppers and one bed usually devoted to one or two zucchini plants.
At this time in our lives I wish they were raised to waist high for the ease of working on them. That is a totally different type construction but it works well and doesn't require as much initial media for the plants as did the beds built from the ground up. Some folks build them to sit on 4X4 legs, some set them on stacked concrete blocks and two men can usually move them around when necessary.
We enjoy the raised beds but I'm still old school enough that I need to plant in the ground and cultivate with the tractor. We'll plant our peas, corn, squash and such with the tractor probably in the next week or so.
We had another cool morning, 49 degrees, but after this full moon the cold should be gone, I hope.
We need to be showing some pictures as the new gardening season progresses.
Treefarmer

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:41 am

Tomato and peppers and basil. Did collards this winter. Switched to back to Eden garden bed to amend my soil. Will see how it goes. Also added 6 more hives of bees.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:27 am

I still have to do some more burning then ill have a good place to start planting!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 am

treefarmer wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:37 am
At this time in our lives I wish they were raised to waist high for the ease of working on them. Treefarmer
Treefarmer, I was thinking the same thing after we finished. My wife and I agreed to add 1 level every season, in 9 years they should be waist high. Here are a few pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Looks good
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”