Home Garden - Fall 2011

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Home Garden - Fall 2011

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Been reading up and it seems August and September is a good time to get started. I ripped up most of the garden this morning and will be bringing in some compost shortly. What has everyone had the best luck with. I know I will have another batch of collards, okra, bell peppers, tomatoes and onions. I am limited on space but looking for suggestions. Whats the general consensus out there?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Home Garden - Fall 2011

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I red-did mine last weekend. I actually moved it over about 10 feet, re-framed it and went up another row higher, and added more dirt and compost. Its 8x16 built out of landscape timbers, and now 3 rows high. I may go to 4 before I plant. Way too hot to be planting anything now. I am gonna do lots of collards. Haven't really decided what else
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Ive got all my pottted pepper plants sitting on top of it now, until I get ready to plant. This relentless heat has them struggling
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, my hot peppers are looking rough too. My herbs are growing like crazy though.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:55 pm

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:03 pm

I've ignored my herb garden for at least a month, been busy building an outdoor kitchen. picked a hat-full each of Tabasco peppers,dill,cinnamon basil and rosemary. put it all in a gallon jar with an onion,6 of my Meyer lemons squeezed, about a dozen garlic cloves and filled with 1/2 rice vinegar and 1/2 apple cider vinegar. debating on running it through the blender and filtering later and how long to let it sit and to refrigerate or not and keep in dark or light. any suggestions?
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:21 pm

If you are making pepper sauce just let it sit on the counter. I leave mine on the kitchen counter all the time. If you are making hot sauce, I would use L2H's new hot sauce recipe. I did, however I do not have a side burner on my grill so I had to make it in the house. When he said it was like getting pepper sprayed, he was not lying. It does concentrate the flavor and tastes really good.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:13 pm

just finished blending it and it tastes good already, figure it will mix flavors faster, maybe I'll try cooking 1/2 of it as I have almost a full gallon to play with. also made a basil pesto sauce for pasta later tonite that came out great and so easy. 1 basil plant and I'm up to my ears with it, only problem is catepillars are eating it and the dog keeps peeing on it but can smell it from the pool. the outdoor double sink is working out great to clean garden stuff without worrying about splashing water and dirt around or bringing bugs in the house and cut the electric bill by 100$ a month by not heating up the house while cooking.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Hey there Triple Creek Reaper, I see you are from Black Hammock. When I was a little boy my dad would take me fishing on Lake Jessup. We always went to Black Hammock fish camp and rented an old cypress boat to put Dad's little outboard motor on, we would then troll for specks with some tiny little MirroLures. That was close to 60 years ago. After reading your post about fall gardening, I wanted to share a site from UF that has been helpful to me concerning vegetable gardening. Check out SP103-VH021 Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021 Hope you enjoy a sucessful fall garden. Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:50 pm

The old fish camp is still there, I believe it sold to a new owner. The are doing alot of advertising lately. Hey thanks for the link, I appreciate that. I like how it gives the varieties of plants you should buy.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 pm

We went ahead and did our summer "flip" of our garden this past weekend. I flip it in the spring after harvest, summer and once again in the fall before we plant. It's in a small area next to the house 8' wide and about 24' long and we've got a planting bed that's about 4' wide and 20' long about 2' deep. We have composted all kinds of stuff there in the last three years and the soil is looking real good and dark, almost now sand at all in there now. Just turned it over and put all the green on the botom again.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

I have got a few rows of okra, acron squash, tomatoes and peppers out of the ground and growing quickly. For some reason my collards did not seed properly. I am going to get another batch and start over, can not have a fall garden without collards. My existing hot peppers have recovered from the heat wave, I hope they put out another batch soon.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 am

We will begin planting operations on our 4'wide x 20' long x 24" deep" garden over the next two to three weeks. Beans, Collards, Green Peppers, Tomatoes, Onions, Egg plant, and probably a few others... Gonna try and post some pics this year....

ffmsb
scout

Post by ffmsb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:01 pm

[quote="Triple Creek Reaper"] I am limited on space but looking for suggestions. quote]

With you being short on space I suggest an awesome book called the square foot gardener. Perfect for smaller growing areas. :911
I make holding your hand seem like the biggest thing in the world when I am cutting you out of your car. I can make 5 minutes feel like a lifetime when I go into a burning house to save your family. I make those annoying sirens sound like angels singing when you need them. I make your children breathe after they have stopped.I make myself get out of bed at 3am to go risk my life for people I have never met, and have never asked for thanks.I make a difference. "what do you make?

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm going to make some homemade earth boxes. Google it. They seem easy enough to make and shouldn't cost that much. The best part is not having to weed the garden. That takes the most time. With little kids running around, I don't have time for that... Oh plus it's hunting season!

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”