Spring garden 2012

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Spring garden 2012

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue May 22, 2012 2:24 pm

Dang Tim thats impressive. Been dehydrating all my thin skinned peppers and putting them in jars. I learned that leaving them whole instead of crushing or grinding them, they retain their oils and heat a little better. You just reach in and grab one, and crush it over your food

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 pm

I really need to start to dry my peppers. I have about 3 gal. Ziploc bags full in the freezer.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Any idea what kind of squash these are?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Different color when mature and larger but I have bought butternut squash that was similar in shape.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat May 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Yep, butternut. Unless you planted gourds than it would be a Orn Large Bottle.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 26, 2012 7:56 pm

I am beginning to think I had a pack of seeds mismarked or something. I planted 2 rows of squash...a yellow crooked neck, and the second row I can't remember. I could have sworn it was zucchini. Gonna let them grow a bit longer, but I thought they look like gourds myself.Although looking at some pics on the net, it may in fact be butternuts

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat May 26, 2012 8:41 pm

You got a ways to go before they are ready to harvest. They will change color and the stem will turn brown. Good eating and will last a long time after being picked with out refrigeration.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat May 26, 2012 9:59 pm

There is a possibility that it is a cushaw. They make good pies, just like a pumpkin. Here is what they look like as they are growing and what they look like when mature. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun May 27, 2012 8:40 am

bodysnatcher wrote:You got a ways to go before they are ready to harvest. They will change color and the stem will turn brown. Good eating and will last a long time after being picked with out refrigeration.
I have a recipe for some butternut squash soup that is now a family tradition at every Thanksgiving meal. Its amazing how that stuff will fill you up, if you are not careful it will ruin the whole meal by eating too much.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sun May 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Updates...pic one is the hole created when I pulled the radishes. I put snap beans in the ground last weekend and they all came up. Not sure if pic 2 shows up well but these are the asparagus I planted, I put 6 bulbs in the ground, I have never grown asparagus or seen it in the ground but these are weird. At 1st it looked like one stalk was shooting out of the ground, then it turned into these thin flowering shoots. After doing some more research I understand this is going to be a 2 year project at a minimum before I can start regularly harvesting them, good to know they can last over 10 years in the same spot. Pic 3 is the sunflower again, it is approaching 10 ft...still waiting on the head to develop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

Some dill pickles I made today.
Sliced the cukes into spears and put them into the sterilized jars. Made a brine on vinegar, water, salt, pepper corns, garlic and onion powder.
In each jar I put a bay leaf, garlic clove, a pinch of pepper flakes, pepper corns, and a fresh slice of jalapeno. Poured the simmering vinegar brine in each jar, lidded them and put them in a stock pot and boiled slowly for 10 minutes.
They all sealed within a few minutes after removing them. Wish I had more cukes to have done more. I have been eating them fresh with a dash of salt n pepper as fast as they come off the vine

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:10 am

Looks good!
I like animals, they are tasty!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 am

Back in May we were discussing different squash varieties. Here are some cushaws that we gathered this morning. They were planted in a couple of rows along with some Silver Queen sweet corn. Corn's been gone for weeks and these babies have matured and have been hiding under the grass and weeds that followed the corn. They make great pumpkin pies. Treefarmer

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:02 pm

It appears your green thumb has risen above your average "joe schmoe" back yard gardner, like me. I get my beens, some watermelon, cukes and my sunflowers. My corn was all of 2-3 foot tall and the cobs were so small Icould have used tham in salads. good job on you!!

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Nice going treefarmer. :toast let me know if you want to get rid of some of those seeds.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”