Spring garden 2012

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Spring garden 2012

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 am

Here are a couple before and after photos of my expansion of the garden. The 1st is a 4' x 16'. This year I expanded to 18' x 20'. I am glad to get rid of the chicken wire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 am

Everything is growing pretty well. I put the walkway in for the wife, she can get to the herbs without getting into my beds. As much as I like the fresh vegetables, it is having fresh herbs/spices for cooking every night that I look forward to this time of year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

I just always threw tomatoes in the ground and hoped for the best. I seen this video on another forum, followed the directions and now my tomatoes plants are producing big time. For those of you who did not know, follow these directions and see if you get the same results.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgA4n-s ... r_embedded[/youtube]
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

Here’s what I’ve got so far in my “garden”. Not so much a garden, but homemade earth boxes. I’ve got one box that has a Habanero, Jalapeno and Red Chili pepper plant. The plant in the plastic planter was another Habanero that I planted in the box, but it wasn’t growing like the others, so I took it out. Both plants were the same size when I bought them. Both have the same soil too… You can see the difference between Earthbox vs. regular planter…

The second box has two Eggplants and two Okra plants. The Eggplants have shot up and are about 3x’s the size when we originally bought them. The Okra’s are getting too crowded by the large Eggplant leaves. They are starting to sprout okra, but they’d probably do better in a box by themselves.

The third box has a single cherry 100 tomato plant and a few bush/green bean plants. The picture doesn’t do the plants justice. The tomato plant has exploded and is full of cherry tomatoes. The beans are bushy and have produced enough for two dinners so far, with plenty of left overs… They are starting to crowd each other out, so next time I’ll separate them, but they’re doing good despite being crowded.

All of these plants were planted in early March. The peppers and tomato came in 4” pots and the Eggplant came in 6” or 8” pots (if I remember correctly) and the beans came in a 6 pack 2” pack.

I’ve got a super hot pepper plant (not pictured) in a 5 gallon bucket, but I think I’m going to build another earth box for it since it seems that it’s not doing very well in the bucket. I’ll post pics when I replant it and again when it starts producing….

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:05 am

Post up how you did the earth box. i know there are instructions all over the internet, but would be interested in how you did it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Post up how you did the earth box. i know there are instructions all over the internet, but would be interested in how you did it
X2
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:40 pm

Looking good Reaper.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:
Iluv2hunt wrote:Post up how you did the earth box. i know there are instructions all over the internet, but would be interested in how you did it
X2
I'll be making one in a few days, so I'll take pictures along the way...

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:47 pm

bodysnatcher wrote:Looking good Reaper.
I wish my corn looked like yours. I had some leaf eaters get into them but I think I have it under control now.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Triple Creek Reaper wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:Looking good Reaper.
I wish my corn looked like yours. I had some leaf eaters get into them but I think I have it under control now.
We were warm here so I got thing in a little early.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Interesting info on the maters. I went out and looked at mine and they look horrid. I am going to rig something with strings and try it this fall

Wish my tiller would crank. I would have veggies planted all over the place
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

gobblergetter
Tenderfoot

Post by gobblergetter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 pm

dang ya'lls gardens look great.might have to give it a try.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

The soil on my property is very poor... very sandy so we have to bring in planting soil and all additives.
We have a 4'x20' raised garden where my wife and son grows some herbs, flowers and vegetables mostly for fun.
I was thinking about trying to grow some tomatos, strawberries and peppers in hanging pots hanging from trees to prevent animals from feeding on it when we not here.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 pm

kc45 wrote:The soil on my property is very poor... very sandy so we have to bring in planting soil and all additives.
We have a 4'x20' raised garden where my wife and son grows some herbs, flowers and vegetables mostly for fun.
I was thinking about trying to grow some tomatos, strawberries and peppers in hanging pots hanging from trees to prevent animals from feeding on it when we not here.
Be ready with the bb gun for the squirrels...

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Kortsman wrote:
kc45 wrote:The soil on my property is very poor... very sandy so we have to bring in planting soil and all additives.
Be ready with the bb gun for the squirrels...
We've been there for few months now and we have yet to see or hear one squirrel.

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”