A corn patch for a food plot?

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

treefarmer
Ordeal

A corn patch for a food plot?

Post by treefarmer » Fri May 11, 2012 10:32 pm

Been watching the TV outdoor channels and on a regular basis the folks are hunting over standing or picked corn. Last year an old Minnonite farmer planted a corn field on our farm and it turned out to be a deer magnet. He picked several rows by hand and then had one of the neighbors finish it up with a picker. It was out in December before they picked it and a lot of it was on the ground. It was unusual not to see sets of eyes shining as we would come and go at night. I had planted an oat plot and it was not utilized by the deer as in previous seasons. Also very few pictures of deer at an automatic corn feeder next to the oat patch. Even after the corn was picked and the field was disked, the deer continued to hammer that field. So...... Why not plant a patch in the woods and leave it for Bambi to enjoy during the winter? I turned the oats under as green manure and waited about 30 days, then disked and applied about 250 lbs of 5-10-15 per acre. Had a couple of small showers 3/10" or so and was able to plant the little field this morning. Weatherman says we should get a good soaking this weekend. My wife took some pictures while I was planting and then I took a picture of the old "stripped down" planters we use in the woods. Notice it has all the track plows removed so that it literally will roll over roots and stumps without hanging up like a set of "full dress" planters would. Will try to keep a photo journal of this experiment and share it with anyone who is intrested in food plots. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: A corn patch for a food plot?

Post by davedirt » Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 am

Looks sweet...............I would un a bush hog over it when the corn is dried. I mean like every 50' make a pass thru the corn and leave the rest standing. Also rite before dove season make a couple passes and the doves should tear it up also.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 am

My buddy and I are gonna plant some corn this year also in a couple spots on the lease. I've never tried it before but can't see how it could hurt.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat May 12, 2012 7:46 am

I should have mentioned, it's a little late in the season to plant corn as some of the feilds here in the panhandle are already tossling. There are folks that plant sweetcorn for the produce markets that plant later to have the corn available over a longer period of time. There are lots of insect pests to deal with the later you plant. Most of the field con is planted in Feb. and March in this neck of the woods. Treefarmer

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I didn't realize we should be planting already. Looks like the soonest we could really plant it would be a month or so from now. Gonna be up in the next few weeks but won't have time on this trip. We may have to wait till next year or I'll give it a shot anyways. The guys that had the place before us planted it in a powerline and we saw a lot of deer crossing and feeding at the same spot all year. We've been talking about getting someone up there to do our planting this year so I may have to try to find someone on the next trip up. Thanks for the heads up TF.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sat May 12, 2012 5:18 pm

DONY1, If you will Google "TROPICAL CORN" you might find the answer to a late planted corn patch. We planted it many years ago on the power line that runs through our small lease. Some of the guys wanted to shoot doves over it. If I remember correctly, we planted tropical corn and Brown Top Millet in the same plot. Using a 2 row planter, corn in one side and millet in the other, you end up an alternating pattern in the food plot. Don't remember much about it other than planting it and when we thought about it , it had already gotten to mature to eat as roasting ears. The critters finished it off and I believe the Brown Top reseeded for a couple of years much to the delight of the quail hunter in the lease. What I planted yesterday is a combination of old varieties that are not hybrid seed. It has yellow, red, white,and blue kernels. Some times you will find a solid red ear, kinda like Indian corn. Treefarmer

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sat May 12, 2012 10:14 pm

tall corn is great for deer to hide/feed and hear anyone coming in after them, that duck hunting marsh/willow camo works great in it.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 pm

The Lord blessed us with 1.6" of rain this morning, from about midnight till 1pm. Slow and steady, no runoff, just right for the corn that was planted Friday morning. Tomorrow it is supposed to be clear with a warming trend. Should see corn "needling through" about Wednesday. Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon May 14, 2012 10:41 am

davedirt wrote:Looks sweet...............I would un a bush hog over it when the corn is dried. I mean like every 50' make a pass thru the corn and leave the rest standing. Also rite before dove season make a couple passes and the doves should tear it up also.
treefarmer,I have never tried this myself but I have read on another forum a variation of this theme. It seems like it would work with corn or an over gown field. This farmer would start at the center of the field and mow strips into it like a wagon wheel. However he would not mow all the way to the edge. He sets up his hunting stand at the center. His theory was that the deer were more comfortable standing in the clearings if the edges were still in place.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Today is Wednesday the 16th, corn was planted on Friday the 11th. It is "needling through", in fact some were probably up yesterday. Took a few pictures to show the progress and will try to follow through till it makes or fails depending on the weather. The picture of the field shows how it looks at a distance As you will see in the close up picture, other things are also sprouting. Didn't use any herbicide, but as it is planted in 36" rows, I will be able to "plow" it with a cultivator to help eliminate some of the weeds. I have sent a PM to Iluv2hunt concerning his recommending Milorganite as a deer repellant. I have never used the product. Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:12 pm

It's a great feeling to see something you planted sprout and grow.

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:59 pm

+1
kc45 wrote:It's a great feeling to see something you planted sprout and grow.
I like animals, they are tasty!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 23, 2012 11:14 am

Here's the weekly up date on the corn patch food plot:
Wednesday the 23rd, one week since last pictures. Have been blessed with 2 good rains since then, on 5/17, had 1 3/4", then yesterday before dark had 1". So far so good. Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed May 23, 2012 11:18 am

That last pic is a beautiful site. I have a feeling you are going to do well this year.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:21 am

treefarmer,

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but.... why were those two trees left on the field when it was cleared?
IS there a reason for them?
download/file.php?id=5017&mode=view

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”