A corn patch for a food plot?

This is a forum to duscuss your Food Plots and Supplemental Feeding

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: A corn patch for a food plot?

Post by M12Gunboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Nothing wrong with that, he'll eat good too!!!!

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Nicely done!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Devinv
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Devinv » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Man do I love this thread... Good to see some results after all the work!

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Day 222 Corn patch food plot
Things have been pretty slow in this part of the world as far as hunting goes. Saw a short spike last Saturday afternoon in the corn patch and there was a doe on another afternoon, very slow. In fact there were no deer pictures this week on the camera that is on a trail below the patch till this morning before day light. There was one picture of some old man and his wifes' dog riding by the camera one afternoon. My hunter friends are all experiencing about the same on their leases, no big one yet.
A couple of years ago a new weed showed up in this food plot. Took a sample of the plant to the County Agent and he identified it as Curly Dock, he said deer would eat it. I can now say he was correct. Of the few deer that we are seeing at this time, they will certainly eat this wide leaf weed. It has a root like a small carrot and doesn't appear to be bothered by cold weather. I thought we had got rid of it when we bottom plowed the patch in the spring.
Day 229 will be the day after Christmas, so let me wish you folks that have been following the Corn patch food plot a very Merry Christmas! The old cliche, the "Reason for the Season", is something we sometimes don't give a second thought but I want to share with you the "Reason for the Season", Jesus, has truly blessed our home this year!
Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Amen and the corn patch story continues...

Merry Christmas to you treefarmer and your family.
Count your blessings... we all have so much to be thankful for.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you for continuing to update this thread. It has been a pleasure and a learning experience to follow it
Merry CHRISTmas to your family!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:42 pm

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and many thanks for blessing us with your updates in this thread and participation in others. I always look forward to your posts!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:41 am

Happy Holidays Treefarmer and family! This is probably one of the most interesting threads we've ever had. I think everyone here looks forward to it. I can't wait for "Corn Patch Food Plot Part II"!

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Have a blessed Christmas Treefarmer. I pray y'all have a great family time together. We have a lot to be thankful for.

Jim<><

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Day 229 Corn patch food plot

Another slow week as far as hunting goes. Spent some time this week processing the spike from 12/8. Just finished all the packaging to night. Lots of "honey-do's" this week. Hadn't seen the 1st deer. Went shopping last Sat. morning with Momma, as the some of the kids were coming in that afternoon . Had a few visitors while we were at WM. Today started the doe week in this zone, went to lease, saw zero. It has been in the 40's all day and supposed to get cold tonight with more rain on Saturday.

Pictures show our visitors and some boned-out venison ham being packaged.

Hope each and everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to a great New Year!

Treefarmer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Day 236 Corn patch food plot

Just completed our zone's doe week yesterday. Have any of you folks ever experienced the total disappearance of deer during that time? We've chosen to not kill does on our little farm but even on the lease property and others leases it seems they go down a gopher hole during that week. Managed to kill one on the lease last Thursday afternoon, that was it. Didn't hear of another one being killed. Heard a few shots around but no tellin' what was going on. Sat over the corn patch this afternoon for about an hour and nothing moved. Had the same bunch of does, yearlings and fawns on the camera. Had a few cold days and should see some rut activity in the next few weeks.

Lots of tracks around the edges of the corn patch but I'm beginning to wonder if a green patch, oats or rye grain, may be a better drawing card than the corn? Some years ago this plot was planted in Imperial whitetail clover in the fall and it took till the folowing summer to get results. Had 7 bucks that stayed in it as a batchlor group from July right up till a week before rifle season. I was able to kill the #2 buck, a big 8 pt. on opening afternoon, never saw the big one again. Maybe we'll have some thing more to show in the next few weeks. Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Farmer those deer know just when they are safe or not... a prime example is the week after the season is over, look at how many you'll see.

:saluting
Bossman

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 am

Very good and you're a Chevy man too! This is by far the best thread FOHAF has ever had and I believe it should continue with Part II and III. The clover idea sounds like it worked in the past, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd plant half in clover and half in corn next year.

Maybe next year I'll have some of my own property to do something on. We will see!

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:22 am

looks like a ford. and yes, this is a cool thread.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 am

I stand corrected, it is a Ford, -1 treefarmer, although it could be someone else's problem (Ford) and not your's, LOL....

Return to “FOODPLOTS - SUPPLEMENTAL FEEDING”