Wonder if it really is?

This is a forum where you can discuss Bear Problems, Habitat, Potential open hunting season opinions and so on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Wonder if it really is?

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 am

Looking at it, I would say absolutely not.

*Motor is too low. A bear would slap it right off. Motor needs to be 8-9' off ground at minimum
*Winch is accessible to a bear. If he can get his paws or teeth on it, he will figure out how to release the dog on it. Also, the handle needs to be turned around backwards when not using it
*If whatever the pole is attached to is not flashed or wrapped in barbed wire, he will just climb the tree (or box stand in this picture it's strapped to) and get on top of that contraption, and just destroy it

I give that a life expectancy in bear territory of less than 30 days. To call that bear proof is laughable
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:58 am

If the bear can reach it the feeder will be done for. I had one turn a straight 5/8" steel rod into a pretzel and break it in a couple different places and there was no food involved....
I like animals, they are tasty!

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:02 am

Allen is being nice at 30 days and that's only because it will take 14 to find it. Ant no way that would last around the bears I've had tear up feeders.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:33 am

We had some on our last lease that were much taller (+/- 12' to the bottom of the feeder) and make of thicker round metal, so thick you did not need the support arm. Instead of using a 90 degree angle at the top it utilized two angles at 45 degrees to reach the top bar. The bears did not climb them and the handle to the crank was chained to the pole. The bears started pulling on the cable itself and shaking the sh*t out of the feeder causing the corn to fall out the bottom. A number of the cables started fraying causing issues with moving through the pulleys easily.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 am

No way that feeder is 9' off the ground. That's a 12' extension ladder (I have one identical) to use for comparison. Winched all the way up, it might be 6' max
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:37 pm

I have my own that I built and have not had a bear get to yet after 6 years in big bear country and I will sell them for 100.00 each. If you can use a climber, that is all it takes to install. Only thing is it needs at least a 12 dia. -20in. tree.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Not one of you wants to see it? Just kidin about 100.00 bucks I will show them to anyone that wants to try and make there own.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Return to “FLORIDA BEAR FORUM”