Florida Woman Mauled by Bear

This is a forum where you can discuss Bear Problems, Habitat, Potential open hunting season opinions and so on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

9dawgs

Florida Woman Mauled by Bear

Post by 9dawgs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey did anyone see this? http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/14/wi ... latestnews

Still another good reason to open up the hunt. Looks like they're getting too comfortable around humans.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Florida Woman Mauled by Bear

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 am

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)
For immediate release: April 14, 2014
FWC removes another bear from Lake Mary neighborhood

Monday morning the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) captured another bear that approached staff as they were on the scene of a recent bear attack in the Carisbrooke neighborhood of Lake Mary.
Because this bear showed no fear of people, staff determined that it was a threat to public safety and needed to be put down.
“The fact that we have come across so many bears with so little fear of humans indicates that these bears are highly habituated and are regularly receiving food from people,” said Dave Telesco, the FWC’s Bear Program coordinator. “Our staff is dedicated to wildlife conservation. Having to put down these bears is a very difficult decision, but it’s the right decision to ensure public safety. Unfortunately, the saying is true: ‘a fed bear is a dead bear.’”
FWC staff will remain in the area and continue trapping efforts to remove any bears demonstrating this lack of fear. No action will be taken against bears that display normal wild bear behavior and avoid human contact.
The FWC reminds residents in this area to be aware of their surroundings and always supervise pets and children while outdoors. The FWC relies on residents to report threatening bear behavior. Residents should contact the FWC’s Wildlife Alert hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922) to report any threatening bear activity.
If you encounter a bear at close range, remain standing upright and speak to the bear in a calm, assertive voice. Back up slowly toward a secure area, and be sure you are leaving the bear a clear escape route. Stop and hold your ground if your movement away seems to irritate instead of calm the bear. Do not run or play dead. If a black bear attacks you, fight back aggressively.

Questions?
Contact Us

STAY CONNECTED:

I recieved this e-mail from FWC Sunday and have been trying to keep up with it a little. I heard that they have killed 5 bears so far that they have caught. I also heard on the news that "the bears are unusually hungry because they are coming out of hibernation this time of the year." Where the hell do these news people think we live the North Pole?

:saluting
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 am

There was a bear in a tree in St. Andrews area of Panama City yesterday. They shot him with a tranquilizer, he finally fell out and went through the tarp they had set up to break his fall. News said by this morning he will have been relocated to the woods. This is a regular thing in Panama City. The bears are usually tagged and on several occasions , the same one shows back up, even though he was "relocated" miles away in the Apalachicola National Forest.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:27 am

Reports today says that they have killed 7 bears in the area now. Sounds to me like there is no bear shortage.

:saluting
Bossman

Trapperguy
scout

Post by Trapperguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:04 pm

I've talked to FWC biologists. Non-attack nuisance bears that get relocated get a third strike your out policy. They have them come back 50 miles before. Bears are also their #1 complaint animal now.

My guess is limited hunts are not too far off.

Trapperguy
scout

Post by Trapperguy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:08 pm

....and by not too far off......I mean within the next decade. This is the FWC we are talking about. Lol

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:07 am

I heard on the radio this morning that an FWC officer interviewed said they think they may have found the root to the whole problem - several residents in that area have been feeding the bears on a regular basis. I'm all for opening a season for them, but it sucks that hard headed a$$holes snub their noses at the rules and laws. Now they've turned the bears into a nuisance and they paid with their life.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:39 am

Put them in jail for a few days next to the 80 year old lady that refused to quit feeding them
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 pm

JBUG308 wrote:I heard on the radio this morning that an FWC officer interviewed said they think they may have found the root to the whole problem - several residents in that area have been feeding the bears on a regular basis.

They got a bounty out on em!
Bossman

Trapperguy
scout

Post by Trapperguy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am

Not surprising. 80% of nuisance animal problems come from people feeding them and thinking they are some sort of animal whisperer.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 pm

i be happy to help them remove some with my Bow i would pay to do it.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 pm

Just noticed an e-mail from Game Comm., they are having a series of public meeting about managing the bears in the eastern panhandle. Seems the biggest problem are the bears in central Florida. We haven't had any reports of attacks in this part of the world. Common sense has gone out the window! I'm sure there is more to it than we know but, Gee-Whiz!
Treefarmer

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 am

Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm

On April 15th I made a comment about a bear in Panama City. He was moved 90 miles to the east in the Apalachicola National Forest. He was back on the news today. Seems he was up a tree, back in Panama yesterday. Reporter stated he had been tagged twice before and identified as the same 350 pound bear. This time they took him to the west and turned him loose on Eglin. They had placed air bags under the tarps to cushion his fall when he finally passed out and fell. One of the news anchors was making a bet as to how soon the bear would be back.
Treefarmer

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 am

I think instead of giving him a ride they should put about 10 black & tans or Plotts on his a$$. I bet that would make him think twice about coming back? LoL

Return to “FLORIDA BEAR FORUM”