Just bought my Bear tag

This is a forum where you can discuss Bear Problems, Habitat, Potential open hunting season opinions and so on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Crossfire64
scout

Just bought my Bear tag

Post by Crossfire64 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 am

It looks like I'm committed. I just bought my $300.00 out of state bear tag. I'd like to hunt the northern third of the state. I hope to take a hog or a deer as well. I've never hunted here & don't know a soul.

Where do I begin?

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Re: Just bought my Bear tag

Post by JBUG308 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 am

There a few prime dumpsters in Longwood and Sanford you can stake out for the bears. What state are you coming from??

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:09 am

welcome to FOHAF, Crossfire64!
I'm not participating in the bear hunt, but if you'll find the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission web site, there are several pages giving the details concerning the upcoming 2015 bear hunt. One thing for sure it starts on October 24 in most locations, appears there are lots of different regulations depending on what area is being hunted.
I hope you have a successful hunt.
Treefarmer

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Yeah, I have waited for this opportunity for years and wanted to go...That is until I found out there are no Quotas on the public land. SERIOUSLY...Unlimited hunters ?...I think Ill just skip that fiasco. :tank

Mr. Lolo
Second Class Scout

Post by Mr. Lolo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:07 pm

born2hunt wrote:Yeah, I have waited for this opportunity for years and wanted to go...That is until I found out there are no Quotas on the public land. SERIOUSLY...Unlimited hunters ?...I think Ill just skip that fiasco. :tank
What do you mean with "no quotas on public land"? Not sure if I got it right, but I though there are WMAs open for the hunts. Am I missing something?
http://myfwc.com/media/3004350/bear-hun ... ummary.pdf
Follow my hunting adventures with Twitter: @lolo_hunter

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:46 pm

From what I've read there will be a list of WMA's open to bear hunting as long as it is a BMU listed. It's hard to believe that they sold over 1400 permits in the first 3 days. Does anyone care to take dibs on how many bears will be killed during the week of hunting, (legally)

:saluting
Bossman

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Ok, I wasn't very clear with that. What I meant was there are no specific "Bear hunting" quotas. And many of the WMAs, including Ocala where I would hunt don't require a quota to hunt at all. In other words there "is no limit on hunters" for that area. And with something as exiting as the new bear season I'm predicting very high numbers of hunters in the woods on the first day. I just value my life more than a bear. The only time a quota comes in to play here is if you have one for a Deer hunt on a WMA that is listed, then you can buy your Bear stamp and ad bear to your "Legal to take game" for that hunt. Here is a link to the areas you could hunt with a quota and without.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/bear/rules/

Return to “FLORIDA BEAR FORUM”