to soy bean or not to soy bean.

This is a forum where you can discuss Bear Problems, Habitat, Potential open hunting season opinions and so on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

to soy bean or not to soy bean.

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:37 am

Ok im setting up my other spot on my lease.. got a feeder and treestand.. But when i looked at how much it costs to make one of my own.. I just decided to get a tripiod and if a bear tips it over ill just hopefully reuse the bucket..

So here comes the question..

Should i just put Soy Beans in my feeder? Everyone says bears dont eat that and will not mess with the feeder. And it will only attract the deer.. Is this true?

If so im just gonna fill the feeder with beans instead..

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Re: to soy bean or not to soy bean.

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:45 am

Read some more posts - bears WILL eat soy beans. We used to hunt up in eastern North Carolina, and there were as many bears in the soy bean fields each night as there were in the corn fields and sweet potatoes. Bears eat whatever is available, and as much of it as they can get!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 am

If you just use the steel pole ,you should not have a problem with the bears breaking every thing. 3" pole should work just fine. Sayin.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am

so get some 3" fence pole and slip of over the existing? and how should i anchor it down?

john l
Assistant Scout Master

Post by john l » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:35 am

concrete.

cchcDoeSlayer
scout

Post by cchcDoeSlayer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:42 am

say bye bye to your feeder.....

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 am

Bears love soy beans. I don't care what folks say. I have too many game cam pics to say otherwise
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm

well we shall see!

ALTUCK
scout

Post by ALTUCK » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Bears will eat soybeans just like corn. Lay on their bellies and scrape them up in a pile.

We have a serious bear problem where I hunt at Fanlew.

I take a 21 ft stick of 2" schedule 40 black iron, come in 3 ft and bend a 90 in it weld a couple of chain links at the end and the bend. Mount a cabled boat winch to raise and lower the feeder. Plant it 4 ft deep and pour 2 or 3 bags of sakrete around the base. Course thats on a lease where we will use it for several seasons.

Other or temporary option for 5 gallon feeders. Run a 1/8" cable between two trees put a pulley with couple of cable clamps in the middle, place another pulley where the cable is tied off to one tree. Run your rope horizontal from one pulley to the other and vertical down the tree. Bears can't grasp the vertical rope. I tried it with only one pulley and have pictures (attached)of bears shaking the rope to get beans out. If they climb the tree I can't help you.

Altuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by milkman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Like said above bears will eat soybeans. Learn to read sign and terrain and to hunt and not to bait and you wont have to worry about the bears.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:20 pm

hence the term OMNIVORE, more like what won't they eat.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 am

I've had to deal with bears the last few years. I guarantee any tripod you put out even with soybeans is coming down. I suspended a 5 gal. feeder with soybeans 15' up between some pines. The bears didn't get it but when they showed up they would be there for days and I wouldn't get any deer pics for a week. They ate the soybeans just like the corn. My buddy found a good travel route and would lightly hand spread corn and never once saw bears on thousands of pics. If they hear a feeder go off they're gonna come running. If it was me since I'm sure everyone else is running a feeder I'd just hand spread some corn around a nice foodplot each time I got to the property and let the bears run to everyone else's spots. JMO

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:50 pm

DONY1 wrote:I've had to deal with bears the last few years. I guarantee any tripod you put out even with soybeans is coming down. I suspended a 5 gal. feeder with soybeans 15' up between some pines. The bears didn't get it but when they showed up they would be there for days and I wouldn't get any deer pics for a week. They ate the soybeans just like the corn. My buddy found a good travel route and would lightly hand spread corn and never once saw bears on thousands of pics. If they hear a feeder go off they're gonna come running. If it was me since I'm sure everyone else is running a feeder I'd just hand spread some corn around a nice foodplot each time I got to the property and let the bears run to everyone else's spots. JMO
100% agree.
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

cchcDoeSlayer
scout

Post by cchcDoeSlayer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:33 am

spreading corn without an established feeder is not legal the last time i checked......just sayin....

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 am

is that another of fl's logic? it seems to me you should either be allowed to spread it or not. what diff does it make if it's an established spreader, thrown by hand or dropped from my lear jet.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “FLORIDA BEAR FORUM”