Make shift hunting blind

This is a forum for SPORTSMAN with SPECIAL NEEDS. Its always good to have an extra hand or shoulder to lean on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Str8shooter
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Make shift hunting blind

Post by Str8shooter » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:14 am

I walk badly with a cane. On rough surfaces or for long distances, I will use my walker. Most of us can get into the woods by truck or ATV. I needed to find a way to get myself to a hunting spot without having my van or ATV sticking out. What I did was to pick up an extra walker that was given for free on Craig’s List, wrapped the chrome in Camo duck tape, and used that to carry in my gun and chair. From my pocket I pulled a Camo drape and put it over the walker in front of me. Now I was seated on a chair behind a blind that I could use the top rail as a shooting rest. This can be used for turkey, deer, and more. Tell me what you think of the idea. What methods and adaptations do you use to make hunting easier? Maybe your idea can help me.

Rob
BE WELL OR AS WELL AS YOU CAN BE

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Make shift hunting blind

Post by Kortsman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 am

Genius! Most people would give up or stop hunting if they were limited to using a cane. Not you! Much respect to you for using creativity to make the best of your situation!

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

That's what I call using what you got to make it happen. I am not disabled but for ground hunting I have been using a small one man pop up, the storage case it sits in has 2 shoulder straps so it can be worn like a back pack, my fold up chair also has 2 shoulder straps. I throw on the pop up 1st, then the chair. Its nice to have both hands free.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Gblack15
scout

Post by Gblack15 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I would just find a small limb or palm fronds to lay in front and break up the straight lines. I bet it works really well.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:37 am

Good deal that may be the way my walker ends up!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

redneck75
scout

Post by redneck75 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 am

I actually built up a walker for my hunting buddy in a very similar fashion. Camo Duct tape everything shiny. Put bigger tires on it (lawnmower tires from Harbor Freight). I also added a couple carabiners (via hose clamps) for hanging his binos/rangefinder on and hose-clamped a cheap Walmart mono-pod shooting rest on it. I got it as a joke after he fell a couple times and hurt himself. Now he uses it all the time with some camo fabric as a blind. If it keeps you in the woods, it's more than worth it.

Return to “SPECIAL NEEDS SPORTSMANS”