Wish me luck

This is a forum for SPORTSMAN with SPECIAL NEEDS. Its always good to have an extra hand or shoulder to lean on.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Str8shooter
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Wish me luck

Post by Str8shooter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Heading out tomorrow morning for a weekend deer/hog hunt for disabled sportsmen. This is the first of 3 out-of-state hunts I have scheduled this fall. I am taking my Winchester Model 670 30-06 and my .357 to carry on my belt. I have cleared room in my big freezer for venison and pork. The limit on deer is 4 and hogs are unlimited. I'm taking my camera and hope to post a photo link when I get back. Y'all have a good weekend yourselves.

Rob
BE WELL OR AS WELL AS YOU CAN BE

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Wish me luck

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Good luck. Have fun and make memories.

9dawgs

Re: Wish me luck

Post by 9dawgs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Good luck and take some pictures to share on here!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:52 pm

spinning luck your way! :saluting
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 pm

Good luck be safe
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:30 pm

May God grant you success

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Good luck have a blast!
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:01 pm

30 + hunters. One guy shot 2 bucks, a 4-point and a spike. The rest of us saw nothing. It was just too hot weather wise. I get to do this again the first week in November. I will advise.

Rob

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:54 am

Where are you hunting? Don't understand why we don't have more disabled and youth hunts here.

Str8shooter
scout

Post by Str8shooter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Skunk Ape -

Everybody will agree that is a great idea. Very few will choose to get involved to make it happen. I know something about that; trust me. I so wanted to have an organized community of outdoor people with mobility restrictions in the Rochester NY/Monroe County area when I lived there. After failing to start my own and rejecting the parameters of two other national groups, I received permission to initiate a Wheelin’ Sportsman program at a local chapter of the NWTF in upstate NY. The then president told me not to expect member involvement because it was hard enough getting them to attend monthly meetings and don’t step on national toes. I found a local bass club that was willing to assist so we planned a fishing outing on Conesus Lake. They would utilize their members’ pontoon boats to accommodate participants restricted to wheelchairs, and bass boats for the others with greater mobility. Their people would help in transferring in and out of boats where needed. We would have launched at 8:00 am and then fish for 4 hours. At noon we were to come in and have a lunch for an hour starting at 1:00 pm. The club would cook, feed us, and clean up afterward. We could have stayed there at the public launch and mixed after 2:00 pm although they would have left. All they asked was for an insurance waiver to cover any liability even though participants needed to sign “Hold Harmless” documents and an acknowledgement letter after the event to show their community involvement. That was all arranged in advance and mailings were sent. At the last minute, the chapter dictated that all participants pay the $25.00 yearly dues to join the chapter. I strongly protested because all events were to be open. When they refused to yield I canceled the outing.

There are national organizations out there which promote youth activities because “they are the hope for the future.” Some promote outdoor women activities because they see women as a brand “new market” to the point where manufacturers are producing more and more items in the color pink. Groups provide opportunities for returning veterans and some for public servants hurt while on duty. If a person is male, over the age of 18, and has not been in the armed forces or public service then he generally does not qualify to participate in their outdoor activities for the physically challenged. That is the main reason some friends and I formed Physically Challenged Sportsmen of America, Inc. for which I serve as president. We secured sponsors and put on our own fishing event in NY State last June. If you are interested, check out our (http://www.pcsa.websitetoolbox.com) website.

I hunted in Georgia this past weekend with an outstanding group of people courtesy of (BADF) Buckmasters American Deer Foundation. Their hospitality was unmatched to any other organization I have ever seen. I made new friends and felt camaraderie with other hunters with physical limitations. BADF gets it !! It is my intention to get as involved in the Ocala FL chapter as much as they will let me. My special thanks go out to their chapter president Tinsley Ashley, and Steve Brown the BADF regional director for providing us such a memorable weekend.

Rob

Return to “SPECIAL NEEDS SPORTSMANS”