Ethics

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Ethics

Post by bellyacher » Wed May 29, 2013 12:29 am

Just a thought. could unethical shots in bow or rifle hunting kinda change from person to person? what mite not be ethical for on hunter would be ethical for another due to there experience and capabilities? Sometimes I think the word unethical is used way to much. when a hunter watches a video and says it was unethical was it really,or was it just beyond his understanding,experiance and capabilities and at that point becomes unethical.
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Ethicas

Post by treefarmer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:06 am

I would tend to agree with you, bellyacher. Even though we may all be hunters or at least call ourselves hunters, my skills may not be what yours are. If you a proficient with 300 yard shots, have at it. In my case I'll have to stick to 100 yard shots with rest on the window sill of the shooting house. Ethics are be influenced by other factors as well, but by doing the right thing within our capabilities, safely, we can be known as ethical outdoorsmen.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Wed May 29, 2013 6:09 am

Ethics are very much different among people and may change in each of our eyes depending on each scenario.

:salute3d
Bossman

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Ethicas

Post by Ironcat » Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 am

As the guy who used the word I will be the first to say, "absolutely".
There are some shots that I cannot / could not / would not ever take but they might be fine for someone else, and then there are some shots that need to be based on objective data.
The shot in question...
- A .243 caliber bullet
- 688 yards
- extreme wind conditions
- 12 year old shooter
Should have (at the very last) been reconsidered.
As the other commenter said, that guide no doubt took everything into account, but the guide wasn't the one making the shot.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 29, 2013 6:17 am

Ethics and morals go hand in hand, in my opinion. I personally feel comfortable making a 300 yard rifle shot and will do it without hesitation. However, I don't like shooting over 25 yards with my bow. 30 is about the end of my comfort zone. Others may only shoot 100 yards with their rifle, but may take 50-60 yards with their bow.

We may see other things differently as an individual. (just using this as an example, don't bash me)I see these guys crashing brush and trees with swamp buggies and chasing deer down and shooting at them as immoral. The guys that do it regular disagree with me, and I was told to shut up about it on another forum. Who is to say who is right or wrong?
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Ethics

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 am

If you look through your scope and say "dam that deers wayyyy out there" dont take the shot. If you have to express how far it is then its too far. With bow depending on practice is how far your comfortable to shoot.

I think that if you take a looooong shot and are willing to track for hours and mot give up then it might be ok. But if you shoot and the animal dont drop and you just go home without trying to find it, its unethical. I mean if you are hitting a spinner at 300 yards every time with a certain rifle then go for it. If you practice long shots then go for it. If your just a 50-100 yard shooter then let the animal walk.

Sent From Cr0ck1' IPhone most likely from the woods.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Re: Ethics

Post by kc45 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 am

Only you can determine what is ethical for you as a lot depends on your ability.
I would not shoot at a game from 200 yards with my 45-70 as I do not have the skill to hit a game from such distance with that rifle/caliber. If I was using my target rifle I would have no problem shooting at a game 400+ yards away if the conditions were right. I have shot hogs at 400+ yards using target rifles and it was not a big deal .
You know what you and your equipment are capable so you know what would be ethical shot for you and if you don't know what you and your equipment are capable then you are an unethical hunter.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 29, 2013 12:15 pm

I think it's unethical for a fat man you barely know to step out of the shower at camp in the middle of nowhere, by yourselves...and ask for you to hand him a towel
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I think it's unethical for a fat man you barely know to step out of the shower at camp in the middle of nowhere, by yourselves...and ask for you to hand him a towel
HAHA! That's funny stuff right there. Or to be eating beans when you know you are going to be sleeping at camp. Nothing could be worse than waking up to the smell of a BBQ bean fart cloud that has been building in the cabin all night long. You wake up, take that first breath, and throw up in your mouth! HAHAHA!

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Ethics

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I think its unethical for a redneck to walk 5 feet away , lean against a tree, brown water it down, soundin like a airbubble waterfall then look you in the face like nothing just happen ;)

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I think it's unethical for a fat man you barely know to step out of the shower at camp in the middle of nowhere, by yourselves...and ask for you to hand him a towel

...you Broke :ahole Mountain boys sure do make ya wonder sometimes :tung

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed May 29, 2013 5:53 pm

T.M.I. even for me.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Wed May 29, 2013 6:42 pm

An imaginary set of rules and ideals made up by those who cant understand some one else's behavior.

HuntAddict
scout

Post by HuntAddict » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Cr0ck1 wrote:I think its unethical for a redneck to walk 5 feet away , lean against a tree, brown water it down, soundin like a airbubble waterfall then look you in the face like nothing just happen ;)

Another good one! HAHA!

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed May 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Both true stories too. He and I been friends a long time

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”