back up side arm

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

frankwt

Re: back up side arm

Post by frankwt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 pm

At the lease I always carry my 357 snubby with leverevolutions and a speed loader in my pocket.

davedirt
Ordeal
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by davedirt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:44 am

just when I fill feeders I carry 357 tarus.
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am

well It's almost 1 1/2 yrs later for this thread and a very little wiser about fla hunting. now if carrying a non-scoped shotgun I don't realy feel the need for a sidearm, but when carrying a scoped gun I do, for the times when brush is extremely thick or glass might get fogged or dirtied or dropped in swamp water. still sticking with the ruger sp-101 for power and ease of carry or 45 acp. still haven't gotten around to trying any rat shot in an autoloader yet, to check reliability.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Glowworm
Tenderfoot

Post by Glowworm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

I carry my conceal gun, Taurus PT 145 .45 cal w/10rd mag. in IWB holster.
New season coming up!

Pacifico
scout

Post by Pacifico » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

S&W Thunder Ranch 45 acp revolver, moon clip with snake charmer and carry moon clip of man tamer in the pocket. Even carry it when I'm using my Ruger BH 45 Colt as my primary .

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm

always wanted a thunder ranch ANYTHING, probably a revolver most though, or maybe 45 acp auto 1911 tough choice.

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:21 pm

I carry my colt 1911 mark iv in 45 acp in my holster when hunting. Always for the 2 legged type. Never had to defend myself against an ornery hog but I'm sure it will suffice. What's the deal with that anyway? I've been hunting over 20 years and never had to worry about hogs. When I mean hunting, I mean ground, stand, stalk, trap and even dogs and never had a problem. Are you guys doing something to them your not supposed too?

Yeah, I've made poor shots on some too but always eased into a track with my head up and not starring at my shoes. I've always found them layed up waiting for another bullet from my rifle. Yes, I've killed over 200 hogs for readers that are interested. I just want to know what gives? Not takin jabs at anyone.
Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm

on my lease surprised by bears and since I carry a bolt gun I can get off my second and third shot faster with my sidearm than I can reload and shoot my bolt. Jams, surprise, poachers, a running gun battle, just want a backup. Also it would be cool to tell the story of tripping over a hog and pulling my revolver to dispatch him...

skunkape20
scout

Post by skunkape20 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:58 pm

glock 19 with a 10 round clip never had a close all to ever need or use a pistol down here in fl. tho

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:04 pm

My Glock and Magizine are still fully loaded also

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:09 pm

If i'm so scared that I ever feel the need to have to carry a back up gun while hunting... guess i should just stay home

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:23 pm

No one ever said they were scared, but your gun jams, breaks, becomes malfunctioning? I just find it intelligent to carry a backup. Each to their own though, I just prefer to be prepared. I don't need a concealed carry permit but I have one and has nothing to do with being scared...just sayin'

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:51 pm

frankwt wrote:No one ever said they were scared, but your gun jams, breaks, becomes malfunctioning? I just find it intelligent to carry a backup. Each to their own though, I just prefer to be prepared. I don't need a concealed carry permit but I have one and has nothing to do with being scared...just sayin'
I'm bow only.. so my "gun" don't jam :archer

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:51 am

the whole purpose of the sidearm for me was not to spray and pray or be a wannabe Rambo, just the fact that down here scopes are often not as practical or usefull, as open sights at extreme close range or in very thick brush/rain or if dropped in mud/water. I never carried one up north,or out west. but if a hog chased me up a tree or I stepped on a rattler or moccasin you bet I'd be scared.

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:51 am

nacho your 45 acp should be fine.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”