back up side arm

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: back up side arm

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I had my come to jesus moment at the end of this season. Me and a friend of mine were up at our camp in GA this March taking down all the stands and packing up camp. I had just had one strong azz cup of camp coffee when I went into the bushes armed with shovel and some tp. I must of been 40 yards from camp, as I was heading back I came upon two trespassers who were as surprised to see me as I was them. One was armed with a snubby and the other with a machete. These guys were easily 1/3 of a mile from any of our property lines, which are very well marked. Here I am standing there with a shovel, tp and nothing else but the nerve to stand there and ask what these guys were doing there. I usually have my pistol with me in the field but take it off at camp, never again. They gave me some bs story about the camp next to ours giving them permission to hunt hog now that deer season was over. Mind you neither was carrying a rifle. I politely gave them directions out of there. My buddy back at camp never even heard the conversation, had no idea what was going on.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:27 pm

M12Gunboy wrote:Yeah man, it sure would minus that scope....
it's removable :toast

ELS
scout

Post by ELS » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I have Always carried two back ups. I carry a .22 Heritage arms to dispatch any animals not finished by the first shot. And I carry a Rugar Security Six .357 with a 6 Inch Barrel for Bears, Hogs and Idiots. So far I have not had to use the .357 but I feel better just knowing it is there if I need it.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Post by kc45 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:27 pm

For past 20+ years I am never without my S&W model 38 Bodyguard loaded with 5 rounds of 158gr LSWC-HP +P loads carried in a Sam Andrews pocket holster. I put it in my front right side pocket when getting dressed in the morning and it comes out when getting undressed for the day. I carry it at work, I carry it when driving, I carry it when out for dinner, etc. I ALWAYS have it with me because I know that I'll need it at a time when I least expect to need one. I shoot about 30 rounds with it almost every month. After all these years it ain't pretty and the finish is almost gone but it works and works well. It has saved my bacon on more than few occasions.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 pm

I just had my first scope hunt stopping malfunction in 35 years today, luckily not in the field. while adjusting the scope due to blurry sight picture, (imagine my vision has changed since 1984 lol) I got the scope clear as a bell even without my glasses and decided to check scope mounts and base screws. well one base screws was broken, metal fatigue I guess over the years and thousands of rounds. should be an easy fix and glad I discovered it now. another reason to go over your gear thoroughly well ahead of the hunt in case something like this happens that may take a little time to fix, and always have a back up gun/plan.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 am

nacho grande wrote:I just had my first scope hunt stopping malfunction in 35 years today, luckily not in the field. while adjusting the scope due to blurry sight picture, (imagine my vision has changed since 1984 lol) I got the scope clear as a bell even without my glasses and decided to check scope mounts and base screws. well one base screws was broken, metal fatigue I guess over the years and thousands of rounds. should be an easy fix and glad I discovered it now. another reason to go over your gear thoroughly well ahead of the hunt in case something like this happens that may take a little time to fix, and always have a back up gun/plan.
10-4 on that. My scope mounts broke when I was at about 9400ft in elevation on a mountain in Colorado on an elk hunt. Literally.Luckily one of the guys I was with had tagged out and I borrowed his rifle to finish my hunt and kill my elk
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

pandaxmx
Second Class Scout

Post by pandaxmx » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:38 am

I just got a charter arms Bulldog 44 special...nice and light easy to carry, concealed also . made some snake shot for it ...works fine
Gun Laws are only for folks who Obey the Law..Criminals don't give a HOOT

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

back up side arm

Post by Ironcat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I carry my Glock 17.
Killed a pig with it last Saturday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XD45
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by XD45 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:06 pm

XD45 or glock 19 one of them are with me everyday
2012 archery-1 doe

jsnole
scout

Post by jsnole » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

I carry an XDm .45 everyday, thats also my woods gun. I alternate .230 grain HP and FMJ ammo in the magazine when hunting. Its 14 shots of .45, should be fine.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:39 pm

can you carry side arm during black powder ?? does not say i can not.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:02 pm

if you have a concealed carry permit I believe youre good to go. and a 45acp will throw the same bullet as a 50 cal mzl sabot, coincidentaly.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 pm

nacho grande wrote:if you have a concealed carry permit I believe youre good to go. and a 45acp will throw the same bullet as a 50 cal mzl sabot, coincidentaly.
Don't go giving them any ideas now.....

I do believe you are correct Sir, anytime you have a concealed weapons permit you can carry your handgun hunting, just don't go using it for hunting when it's not General Gun Season...

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I would never advocate anything illegal. just an interesting co-inkydink.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Agreed, just busting your Juevos.... Check your email....

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”