back up side arm

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: back up side arm

Post by Just 1 More » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 am

30.06 wrote:nacho your 45 acp should be fine.
especially since the chance of you ever really needing it is probably a gazzzillion to none

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 am

Just 1 More wrote:
frankwt wrote:No one ever said they were scared, but your gun jams, breaks, becomes malfunctioning? I just find it intelligent to carry a backup. Each to their own though, I just prefer to be prepared. I don't need a concealed carry permit but I have one and has nothing to do with being scared...just sayin'
I'm bow only.. so my "gun" don't jam :archer

No wonder you don't understand firearms, and the reason for a backup, ask any LEO, most gun hunters, if they want to face a bear or other predator with a quiver or a Glock...lol, sorta like taking a knife to a gun fight!

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 am

frankwt wrote:
Just 1 More wrote:
frankwt wrote:No one ever said they were scared, but your gun jams, breaks, becomes malfunctioning? I just find it intelligent to carry a backup. Each to their own though, I just prefer to be prepared. I don't need a concealed carry permit but I have one and has nothing to do with being scared...just sayin'
I'm bow only.. so my "gun" don't jam :archer

No wonder you don't understand firearms, and the reason for a backup, ask any LEO, most gun hunters, if they want to face a bear or other predator with a quiver or a Glock...lol, sorta like taking a knife to a gun fight!
Please paste the link to the most recent article about that happeneing

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am

Just 1 More wrote:Please paste the link to the most recent article about that happeneing
Haven't seen any articles lately, but I do notice that on hunting shows when a guy is after a bear on a guided hunt, using a bow, the guide isn't backing him up with another bow!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:38 am

GoodOyster wrote:
Just 1 More wrote:Please paste the link to the most recent article about that happeneing
Haven't seen any articles lately, but I do notice that on hunting shows when a guy is after a bear on a guided hunt, using a bow, the guide isn't backing him up with another bow!
When hunting northern bear over bait.. YEs.. I can understand a possible need for back up.. but in the south??? Seriously???

Seriously... how many of you jonny rambo's have ever had the NEED,, and I stress NEED,, to ever use your back up gun???

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:44 am

Just 1 More wrote:
GoodOyster wrote:
When hunting northern bear over bait.. YEs.. I can understand a possible need for back up.. but in the south??? Seriously???

Seriously... how many of you jonny rambo's have ever had the NEED,, and I stress NEED,, to ever use your back up gun???
First of all, let's end the name-calling right now. Someone wishing to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights does NOT make them a "jonny rambo". Either keep this civil and respectful on all sides or this will be closed.

Second, I've used a sidearm several times to kill snakes and rabid raccoons. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

you must not have bears on your lease, I have at least 4..."be prepared" is not just a scout motto...

Just 1 More
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by Just 1 More » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 am

GoodOyster wrote:
Just 1 More wrote:
GoodOyster wrote:

First of all, let's end the name-calling right now. Someone wishing to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights does NOT make them a "jonny rambo". Either keep this civil and respectful on all sides or this will be closed.

Second, I've used a sidearm several times to kill snakes and rabid raccoons. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
You really NEEDED to kill the snakes & coons??? Couldn't have just walked around them or avoided them all together???

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

3-4 times I've sat in thick brush along game trails where shots would have been less than 20 feet and put the scope covers back on and took out the 45. but I don't need/want that extra wt if using open sights.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Just 1 More wrote:You really NEEDED to kill the snakes & coons??? Couldn't have just walked around them or avoided them all together???
Well, since I WANTED to get out of my tree stand so I could get out of the WMA before they locked the gates, and the rattlesnake wouldn't move from the base of the tree, then yes I NEEDED to kill it. Plus, I had never practiced shooting my bow down and under my stand from about 20 feet up, and the 4 arrows I had were all in the ground around the snake. So two rounds from my .357 had to suffice.

A rabid animal is dangerous and unpredictable. If it approaches you without fear, making strange growls and frothing at the mouth, I say it NEEDS killing. I was about to winch my stuck 4-wheeler out of a mudhole, attaching the cable to a tree. My rifle was in the handlebar rack about 50 feet away, when this coon came down a large oak tree about 20 feet away. In my judgement, she NEEDED killing if I was going to safely go about my business.

The mocassin that slithered into my ground blind MIGHT have left without bothering me, but he didn't seem inclined to do so, which led me to feel the NEED to kill him. Due to the confines of the blind, the pistol was the obvious weapon of choice .

I've come across other rabid or injured animals (including one car-struck doe), where I didn't NEED to put them down, but it seemed the humane and ethical thing to do, and close up a pistol is easier than a scoped rifle.
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I carry my p-7 but not so much for the mercy shot as "camp robbers". Usually coming back to camp the guns are put away. In Ocala wma they have some weird stuff happen up there. murders, camp robbers etc. I thought the 480 was ballistically a better round than the 500. Like the 41 mag vs the 44 mag. the 41 mag was a more accurate round than the 44 and the energy level very close. I was headed toward the 460 and 480 over the 500. MOP

TimE1
Patrol Leader

Post by TimE1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:55 pm

I've personally never carried a backup gun and never felt the need. When pre-season scouting I sometimes carry a machete but it's more for trimming trees and shooting lanes than for personal defense but will work on a snake if need be. I've only felt the need to kill 3 mocassins in about 20 years and have been within feet of pigs several times and never been inclined to scamper up a tree or kill them because I was in fear. Bottomline is to each there own, if you feel the need to tote along another gun then go right ahead and if you don't then don't.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm

you know people and movies fill us "YANKS" full of horror stories of 500 lb big tusked boars killing dogs and charging/killing hunters LOL. I was walking practically shoulder to shoulder with a guy showing me some property when he stepped on a hog, guess that hog never heard how vicious they were. I think it was more scared than us, if possible.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I have had a bear try to climb in a ladder stand with me. He got about 3 rungs below my feet.

I have had a bear follow me out of the woods (last season) and follow me to my truck.

I have had a bear in the back of my truck, helping himself to a bag of corn and my cooler(last season). he did not want to give me permission to access it.

I have had a bear next to my camper at 3AM with his nose inches from my head.

I stuck my 357 Rossi Stainless in a guys face about 15 years ago. He tried to car jack me at a red light when i was working nights. Had I not had it then, I more than likely wouldn't be typing this now...

I have been hunting since I was 4 (I am 37 now) and have killed over 300 hogs. I have been charged by a total of 2. One was a cracked out 600#+ barr hog, the other was a crazy 90# boar which I put a bullet in his brain at 5'
Bears and crack heads are the reason I carry a gun

Never had to pull the trigger, but it felt damn comforting to have it in all occasions
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

frankwt

Post by frankwt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:14 pm

That is sorta why some people don't have a carry permits and don't carry, they think somone else is going to save them and they themselves are not prepared to protect themselves or their family.

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”