open sights vs scopes

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Re: open sights vs scopes

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am

For me it depends upon the area, cover, type of hunt (still, stalk, or stand), and big game species I'm after. I have about 8-10 different types of rifles and shotguns I hunt with and shoot well, some with scopes at 4X, adjustable 3.5-10, 1.5-5, 3-9, etc. some have 28MM objectives, some have 56MM objectives and some have open sights for the different types of area, cover, type of hunt (still, stalk, or stand), and big game species. I'm 42 and the eyes are working fine, therefore I don't have any of the vision issues, not yet anyway. Grew up with open sights only and that's how I learned to shoot a rifle and shotgun with slugs, no scopes. Alot of it is preference, and your vision. I could go either way, scope or not...

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 pm

yea i am 45 and just starting the eye deterioration. Dr said i need 1.5 to 1.75 reading glasses

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:06 pm

I guess its kinda what you are use to shooting, In the past I shot nothing without a scope on it. I have shot so many rounds through my iron sited Muzzle loaders the past five years that now a scope seems unnatural to me. I guess to each his own. Whatever gives the most confidence.
Flintlock, The only ignition system approved by god!

Cracker
scout

Post by Cracker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I can relate to the vision thing.At 30 I had the eyes of an eagle.At 40 the vision started to fade.At 55 I had cataracts.Ive had both eyes fixed with artificial lens and my vision is now 20/20.I still have a bit if a problem for the first 5 feet,after that clear as a bell.It was wonderful to get my sight back as well as I have.I shoot with a scope now ,but can still shoot alright with iron sights.Im lazy now and love my scope.Its a 3x9x50 Nikon

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”