open sights vs scopes

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: open sights vs scopes

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:48 am

I got 2 boxes of Lererevolutions in the trade I made the other day. I am going to shoot them, but I have read there is some accuracy issues with them...
Don't know till I get to the range and see
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 am

I just looked up leverevolutions from hornady and there not avail in 375 cal, shucks. an exrtra 2-300 fps would probably double my effective range. not that I realy need it, I figure I'm good easily to 100 yds and thats pushing it with my eyes and open sights. the 220 gr flat point hits deer like THORS hammer. longest shot with this load app 75-85 yds,a very long shot for me. I've only taken game beyond 40 yds maybe 4-5 times, and the longest is 90 - 100 yds, 1- time. not counting hunting out west. it's not easy leaving good enough alone.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am

i swear by them leverevolutions. my marlin 30-30 loves them. shot my best group sighting it in. cloverleafed 3 shots at 100 yds. (best group from a lever gun) that round was absolutly devistating on a hog.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm

hey guys, for your peeps on your bows, you can get a lens in the peep, they have like 7 different magnification powers. my buddies FIL got one a month or so ago, and he said he hasn't seen that clear in over 20 years with his bow. may be worth checking in to if you have that big of a problem. he got his at spurlows in frostproof.

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:07 pm

my 30-30 with scope. love it, loves them hornady rounds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

mick
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by mick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Nice looking Gun.

ELS
scout

Post by ELS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I recently bought a Marlin 336 30-30. The iron sights shot 6 inches to the left, but the bullets were on top of each other. I adjusted the sights and got it to 3 inches to the left. So I put a 3X9X44 Simmons I bought at Wal-Mart. Now I an Dead Center 1 Inche High at 100 yarda and dead on at about 150. I Learned on Iron sights but I am now 50. I find it easier to deal with a scope. I also have a single shot Mossberg .308 with a 50 mm Swift Scope. I am Dead on at 200 Yards and feel comfertable out to 400 with it. For the Long shot I really need that scope because I can not see 400 yards without one these days.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Gunboy gave me a good tip. some scopes you can adjust the occular lens (the one closest to your eyes) out further,closer to your face for me and some I can get crystal clear so I don't even need my glasses, others not so much but still an improvement.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:41 pm

For me its really a necessity with so many areas having antler restrictions like 3 points on one side. The large field of view is to get it the scope fast. I some times play sniper 40 feet up looking down a forest road, fence line. This year every thing was way close. 50 yards was the long shot. I use to 200 plus when i sit on one. Hell everything walked right down to me.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:51 pm

just cuz you first see em at 2-400 yds doesn't mean you have to shoot em at that distance. with patience I've found most will come a lot closer, I've even held fire until they are in a spot that requires no dragging, that's sweet but of course some get away, not the end of the world for me.

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 am

Generally if sitting a fence watching multiple crossing they cross from thick to thick. Allot of time there leaving a pinch sneaking across to head over to feeders or from feeders.
From experience that is all you will see them is in the crossing generally.
Once the deer crosses there is no chance of seeing it. Were i hunt an elephant could cross once its in the thick there no chance.

This is what i call sniping i am not hunting like archery. I am harvesting deer. I pays off generally for me i usually harvest 4-6 deer a year by this time. Most from gun season.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:23 am

I simply enjoy being in the outdoors with a gun, whether I bag something or not. I don't hunt for the meat or trophy and have let more have a pass than I've shot, guess maybe it's being lazy, didn't want to drag, field dress,butcher,freezer wrap,cook,whatever. I get pleasure from planning hunting strategy, daydreaming or that nap in the woods while a deer is eating your lunch. while bird hunting I get as much excitement with a miss as a kill, again unless it's a real good shot or a double or tripple. as far as predicting animal patterns and movements you can't apply human logic to animals. sure you can say they will travel from cover to cover, never come out in the open, have gone nocturnal, travel with the wind in their face etc etc, some, MAYBE most will be somewhat prdictable, then you see them where they're not supposed to be when they're not supposed to be there moving the wrong way for the wind. how many you killed doen't impress me. i'm more impressed by your knowledge, marksmanship and ethics.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am

For me it depends upon the area, cover, type of hunt (still, stalk, or stand), and big game species I'm after. I have about 8-10 different types of rifles and shotguns I hunt with and shoot well, some with scopes at 4X, adjustable 3.5-10, 1.5-5, 3-9, etc. some have 28MM objectives, some have 56MM objectives and some have open sights for the different types of area, cover, type of hunt (still, stalk, or stand), and big game species. I'm 42 and the eyes are working fine, therefore I don't have any of the vision issues, not yet anyway. Grew up with open sights only and that's how I learned to shoot a rifle and shotgun with slugs, no scopes. Alot of it is preference, and your vision. I could go either way, scope or not...

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 pm

yea i am 45 and just starting the eye deterioration. Dr said i need 1.5 to 1.75 reading glasses

lonehunter

Post by lonehunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:06 pm

I guess its kinda what you are use to shooting, In the past I shot nothing without a scope on it. I have shot so many rounds through my iron sited Muzzle loaders the past five years that now a scope seems unnatural to me. I guess to each his own. Whatever gives the most confidence.
Flintlock, The only ignition system approved by god!

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”