Dads Elk Hunt/Scouting Photos

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: Dads Elk Hunt/Scouting Photos

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:27 pm

I have some pics from a couple of those exact spots. When those quaker's are bloomin yellow like that, the elk are bugling. Man I need to get my azz back out there
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:12 pm

624579-R1-37-36A.jpg
If u ever get a chance to go, u will talk about it forever. The only tough part was coming down the mountains. U get rubber legs. U walk the horses down. U ride and walk down. :cowboy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drgn4sr

Post by drgn4sr » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:39 pm

north western new mexico. drive 20 miles north and u r in colorado. My brother in law got a nice 5x5 also that trip. mine was a 6x6. the bulls were strutin' there stuff-bugling. if u ever get a chance, go. I went to Montana the next year. gorgeous.

flags
scout

Post by flags » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 am

I'm from Colorado originally before the Navy started to send me all the world. Always good to see pics of home. Can't wait til I can retire and get back that way for good. You can take the boy out of the Rockies, but you can't take the Rockies out of the boy.

:cowboy
Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity.

drgn4sr

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:07 am

Hey FLAGS, thanx for serving. Home always is the best place-where ever home is. Yes it is beautiful in the West.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:05 am

Northern New Mexico is beautiful. That's where they filmed the old Grizzly Adams TV show, as well as the Clint Eastwood movie "Pale Rider". Colorado is beautiful, as well. My little brother drove out there from Virginia with a bunch of guys about 3 or 4 years ago and got himself a nice elk. Shot the 6x6 pictured below just south of Sunlight Ski Resort, Colorado.
photo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by Papa_J » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 am

Ya'll know, they did a "poor man's guide to elk hunting" a while back. Said you could do it w/o a guide for less than like $700 per hunter if you go with a group of 3 other hunters, and drive a truck pulling a camper. It could be a little more or less, depending on what you wanna eat, but you have to eat at home too, so that wasn't included. In a couple years, before my FIL gets up in age too much more, I'd love to take him out on one of them hunts for a week or so.

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:38 am

Papa_J wrote:Ya'll know, they did a "poor man's guide to elk hunting" a while back. Said you could do it w/o a guide for less than like $700 per hunter if you go with a group of 3 other hunters, and drive a truck pulling a camper. It could be a little more or less, depending on what you wanna eat, but you have to eat at home too, so that wasn't included. In a couple years, before my FIL gets up in age too much more, I'd love to take him out on one of them hunts for a week or so.
That's kind of what my brother did. I think they had 8 or 9 guys and 3 trucks (big 4 door diesel 4x4 types). Drove straight thru from VA, stayed in a cheap hotel, split the meat. I think they killed 2 elk, and 3 mulies, but maybe they did better. I'd be up for a trip like that, even if it was doing it tent style! Biggest expense per person would be licenses/tags. That and enough coolers to get the meat back home!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Papa_J

Post by Papa_J » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 am

Coolers aren't an issue for me. I have two 120qt and three 54qt coolers. The cheap motel might be the best route, if you can find one, cus the extra fuel to haul a camper might be more than the motel. The tent route wouldn't be bad, but it would definitely be a bit more uncomfortable than a camper or motel.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 pm

I got a dually four door diesel 4x4 that gets 18 MPG on the highway... When we going? Tbone, AKA Papaj has plenty of money to pay for food and license/tags for at least two or three of us and we'll pay for the fuel and cheap motels for him... When we leaving...

GoodOyster

Post by GoodOyster » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:50 pm

I have a 4 door dakota 4x4 that might get 16mpg highway! It's about 3500-4000 miles round trip depending on where we go, or 220-250 gallons of gas. Say $2.75/gal it would be around $650 for gas, split 4 ways is $162.50 each. About 4 days travel time there and back driving straight through, hunt maybe 3 days, so need rooms for 3 nights. If a room is $100/night with 2 guys per room, $150 each for 3 nights. So figure $300-400 per person plus license/tags. Realistically, by the time you pay for BS like coffee and jerky at the truck stops, buy the stuff you forgot to bring, etc. it would run you $500 plus license/tags. I can't make heads or tails of New Mexico's licensing stuff. Colorado looks like a non-res license to kill a cow elk would be $356, and an either-sex would be $546.

So figure about $1000 each to go out and kill an elk with a group hunt. Let me know if it can be done cheaper, better, faster!
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

Papa_J

Post by Papa_J » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:02 pm

If I'm payin, I hope ya'll don't mind eatin PB&J sammiches on generic white bread and Top Rahmen Noodles and drinkin sweet tea. As for tags, you'll have to fend for yourselves. And if we're takin Gunboy's truck, then I got our accommodations covered (i.e., camper with sleeping room for me +3). Sometime after next year is sounding better and better. Thattaway, we can get all the info we need on where to go and when, and also have time to save up some vacation time and the ever-important $$$.

drgn4sr

Post by drgn4sr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

New mex is a draw state for licenses. I had my outfitter put in for mine. You also apply for a district or zone. some zones aonly allow 10 licenses and some maybe 25. the more primo the spot, the less draw. I will tell u this also about new mex.-the wind blows 24-7 and it is noisy ina tent. you never know about the weather. warm in the am and snowing in the afternoon. but doing that way I would be very interested also.

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:46 pm

There goes old Papaj crying broke aZZZZ again... All that money you make. If you'd leave them 25 year old women alone down there at Disney you'd have some money chief. It appears my portion of the trip will run you about $1,000.00.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:45 pm

all those pics look great!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”