KEEP IT SAFE AND LEGAL

Discuss general Big Game Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

nachogrande
Wood Badger

KEEP IT SAFE AND LEGAL

Post by nachogrande » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:27 pm

opening of muzzleloader for me here tomorrow and will be hunting private property. the only one with signed or verbal landowner permission and already saw orange ribbons from trespassers/poachers, that I cut down. I have the fwcc game violations on speed dial and am looking forward to making a quick grand if able and I don't care if nobody likes a tattle tale and hope they are the same a-holes that fired shots past me while up in a ladder stand ( that I had permission from owner to be in.) have a fun safe and legal season and be careful cuz allot of people could use that grand. this is a fenced area with livestock so nobody has any business being there and plan on putting in a sign stating trespassing with a firearm is a felony and trespassers/poachers will be reported to local police and fwcc. if they choose to ignore this I will drop a dime in a hot minute and not lose a minutes sleep.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Papa_J
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Re: KEEP IT SAFE AND LEGAL

Post by Papa_J » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Good luck to ya'll. I was gonna head out to the WMA tonight, but didn't get home until too late. I'll be headed out at 0500 for the new spot Horsefly showed me for the 2 last days of archery.

dropt9
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by dropt9 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:11 pm

stay safe and aim straight..deer hunting is 10 percent skill and 90 :archer percent luck
Fall we RUT/Spring we STRUT!

bodysnatcher
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by bodysnatcher » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Good luck to one and all. :toast
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:39 pm

0500, sleeping in huh? we got a almost full moon I got my alarm set for 3:30 and I'm less than 30 minute drive to property, but I move slow at that hour unless I'm still up. ( like that's happened since my bachelor party ). good luck to all and lets see some points pile up tommorow.

Greybeard
First Class Scout

Post by Greybeard » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:45 pm

nacho grande wrote:opening of muzzleloader for me here tomorrow and will be hunting private property. the only one with signed or verbal landowner permission and already saw orange ribbons from trespassers/poachers, that I cut down. I have the fwcc game violations on speed dial and am looking forward to making a quick grand if able and I don't care if nobody likes a tattle tale and hope they are the same a-holes that fired shots past me while up in a ladder stand ( that I had permission from owner to be in.) have a fun safe and legal season and be careful cuz allot of people could use that grand. this is a fenced area with livestock so nobody has any business being there and plan on putting in a sign stating trespassing with a firearm is a felony and trespassers/poachers will be reported to local police and fwcc. if they choose to ignore this I will drop a dime in a hot minute and not lose a minutes sleep.
:rockon I'm with you, Nacho! If you're not supposed to be there, you're trespassing! Just like some border-crossers I've heard about- and what's good for the goose is good for the gander!
My son was almost shot by a guy with a shotgun in an area posted 'Archery Only"!
“The best government is that which governs least.”

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

pcbfish
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by pcbfish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Safe hunting to all, our bow season opens in the morning. Clock set for 5 am with a long 15 min drive. Just hope I don't run into old big fuzzy. :archer

Papa_J

Post by Papa_J » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 pm

pcbfish wrote:Safe hunting to all, our bow season opens in the morning. Clock set for 5 am with a long 15 min drive. Just hope I don't run into old big fuzzy. :archer
He'll just help keep you warm so you don't have to turn on them condo heaters in your shootin house.

I'll be awake at 4:00, out of here by 4:15, at the parking spot by 4:45, and hopefully in my spot well before daylight. Good luck to all. Archery opener for Zone D and closing weekend for Zone C.

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 pm

I won't make the morning hunt for the opening of BP, but plan to hunt Saturday PM and Sunday. Gotta get up around 6, get the ATV in the truck and all the other gear, have some coffee and breakfast, triple S and leave the house around 7:30-8. Be up at lease around 11AM or so, spend an hour or so sighting in the BP rifles, then hit the woods looking for places to set up my ground blind and ladder stand. With this bright-azz moon, I might just hunt them piggies at night!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:54 am

thats how the europeans do it. they make fun of us Yanks for stumbling around in the dark spooking game.

lamehawk
Silver Contributer
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by lamehawk » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:24 am

Good luck and be safe to all of you going out hunting!
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:38 am

just got back from my am hunt. hunted the nasty thick part of the property I havent been to in months, allot of moonlight so getting in there was easier than anticipated only needed my red hat light a few times. was only allowed to hunt hogs so I used my shotgun so I wouldn't be tempted to shoot a deer which of course is what I saw, and 2 turkeys and couldn't use the shotgun on any of them.tried to get to where the hogs were on foot after sitting in the ladder stand to about 9:15 and what used to be underwater and looked dry I sunk over the top of my knee high lacrosse boots and almost got them sucked off my feet, then proceded to slip/slide and fall a few more times in the mud and could hear the hogs but couldn't reach them, guess thats why they are there. and jumped another deer on the way out. the big field I walked in on had cows and one mean bull giving me the evil eye as I hugged the fence on the way out in case he charged, still beats sleeping in but no points today.

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:03 pm

you know I don't use my own stands, just fix up others to handle the tonnage

Papa_J

Post by Papa_J » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Walked in to my spot this morning tryin to stay close to the trees in the shade. The moon was so bright, I also only had to use my red light twice, and that was just to make sure I was putting my stand in a good spot so I could see the trail. Nuttin came out all mornin. Went another mile and half back in further, and found THE mack daddy rub and scrape line of all rub/scrape lines. Followed it for about 1/4 mile before it ended in the deep thick part of the swamp. Figures, I set my stand up on the north side, and all the buck sign was on the south side of that big ol swamp. According to the aerial maps, that swamp covers several hundred acres. I would've moved my climber, but I didn't have time to get back to the stand, and then back to the rub line and set up before primetime. I'll try to get some pics of all the rubs and scraps up later on.

pcbfish
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by pcbfish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 pm

In my blind at 5:45 nothing at my feeder as I walked in but look what was around my feeder just 1 1/2 hr before.
my stand 2010 10-23 016.JPG

Return to “BIG GAME HUNTING FORUM”