taking over a lease ??s

Is your Lease looking for Members? Or are you Looking for a GOOD lease? If so and you have a good lease, Post your openings here to see if any members are looking for a lease or want to join!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

dogindaily1207
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

taking over a lease ??s

Post by dogindaily1207 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 am

I’m in the process of taking over a dog hunting club in north Florida and completely new to this. I've never been over a lease and want to make sure I do this right. What questions do I need to ask and what do I need to watch out for? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: taking over a lease ??s

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:09 am

Get it in writing and go over that document thoroughly to make sure everything you verbally agreed to is in there, do not assume anything. It can be all handshakes and good feelings the day you sign any type of lease but the minute the SHTF, you or the other party will be beat over the head with the document.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:25 am

TCR is right on about getting it in writing.
Just a few things off the top of my head...

Year round access and hunting?
max does and bucks?
turkey rights?
is insurance by owner?
anyone else allowed access?
guest policy?
make sure you get signed hunting permission slips from LANDOWNER for each person and guests
start and end dates?
camping allowed?
is lease breakable by either party?
who's responsible for unforeseen repairs like roads and gates?
any land work planned?

I'm sure there's some things I'm forgetting but this is a good start. Not all of these will be on a standard lease but a reference can be made to an addendum and it can be hand written. Good luck with it.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:47 am

I hope you are prepared for a lot of phone calls, emails, etc..Running a lease will drive you crazy. I ran one for three years with just a few members and I bout pulled my hair out

You didn't specify how big the lease is or how many members. If it is pretty good size, you might want to think about setting up a board of directors and having regular meetings. There is a lot involved in a dog lease vs a still hunt lease. Plus a BOD will keep some of the pressure/complaints etc off of you personally and put it on the "board"

Good luck with it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:27 pm

a scammer could put anything in writing. do a title search, find out who actually owns the property and if there are any liens against it, for starters. any local zoning/ordinances that would be against hunting. really gonna have to do your homework. if it is a big area and big money and you know little of real estate maybe a lawyer is in order.

Backwoods
scout

Post by Backwoods » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:38 pm

All these guys are right on with what they are saying. I took over a lease on a phone call and it turned out the land was under contract and sold shortly after. But atleast i got some of my money back for the property, but not my time, food plots and corn i had already fed. Make sure it is in writing and i would check title.

dogindaily1207
scout

Post by dogindaily1207 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:19 pm

thamks guys for all the suggestions. I will be taking over, 4500 acres which boarders forest on two sides with 17 members. I was in the lease last year and the president dipped out on us this year. Im hoping all will go well

X711
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by X711 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:49 am

that sounds like more than a handful..

i hope you don't have any addictions to drinking..

good luck if you do it, maybe find the ex-pres and see what his problem was with the place that he walked away??

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:26 am

yeah, like did he WALK or RUN away. likely tired of the BS trying to please too many people. a spot that big with likely a lot of members, without a board to handle issues. you will spend most of your time playing kindergarten cop and have no time to hunt yourself.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Whatever rules you come up with, make sure you stick with them. DO not let anyone push the envelope, and make an example out of someone one if you must. The more people stretch the rules, the more they get stretched out. I remember telling a 65 year old guy to pack his crap and leave(he and his son were sneaking off the property and hunting on the adjoining lease, and got caught, and hid it and lied about it). I felt like crap about it, it ruined my weekend, but it HAD to be done
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

dogindaily1207
scout

Post by dogindaily1207 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:35 pm

The president didnt renew because he had another lease he was in and didn't have time to hunt this one. Plus the guys he ran with didn't want to join both clubs again. So they decided to let this one go. But thanks everyone for your input I'm sure it will be very helpful.

doghunter
Star Scout

Post by doghunter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am

Everything in writing, layout a small board (3) for rule violations and vote democratically on rules/everything before the season unless the landowner has specific rules to abide by. Offseason running on 4500 acres wouldn't be advised IMO.

Ugh man I wouldn't want to be on the board or pres of a dog lease. I have seen all the crap my dad went through with 2 still hunt clubs (18 and 15 members total each) and I have also seen what local board members have gone through dealing with 270-600 members. It isn't worth my time for a free membership AKA I'll send you my money and just hunt without dealing with the BS. By the way, they would DEFINITELY be paying me for my time and hassle (free membership); I don't work for free.
Team 'Tree Top Assassins'

dogindaily1207
scout

Post by dogindaily1207 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks doghunter I'll keep that I mind. Are you still in three rivers by chance? I joined it as well this yr for the first time thinking we were losing this lease.

Skunk Ape
Vigil

Post by Skunk Ape » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:54 am

Where is your club at?

dogindaily1207
scout

Post by dogindaily1207 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:50 am

Liberty county

Return to “Hunt Lease Openings”