This might be a dumb question but oh well.....

Is your Lease looking for Members? Or are you Looking for a GOOD lease? If so and you have a good lease, Post your openings here to see if any members are looking for a lease or want to join!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Before I begin, sorry for these dumb questions. I apologize.

What would you do if you are going to some random farms to ask if they have wild pig problems and you tell them you'll try to take care of them?

I mean I never done it before and even if I do, I really don't know what I should do... Do I need a permit or something?

Would they more likely deny me for liability issue?

Like I said, dumb questions guys... I just don't have any knowledge about asking around to look for places to hunt wild pigs...

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Re: This might be a dumb question but oh well.....

Post by GoodOyster » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Print out some copies of this: http://myfwc.com/media/1299347/HuntingP ... oncard.pdf

Be polite. Offer to share any meat if they want it. Don't mess with their daughters! :D

Some may say you are wasting your time, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst the farmer can say is "No". If they do, thank them for their time, and go to the next one. You may have to visit 100 farms to get one "maybe", or you might get lucky the first place you go. If you find a place, it'll be worth it. If you do find a place, make sure you understand the farmers rules if he sets any, and don't assume anything. If he hasn't said you can do something (bring a friend, use a 4 wheeler, hunt at night, clean the hogs on the farm, dump the carcass on the farm, etc.) don't do it without asking. Treat them with respect and how you would expect to be treated if the land were yours. If you see something you might do to help him out, do it. Build a good relationship and you'll always be welcome.
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:45 pm

Thank you for your reply sir.

I mean I guess it would be up to me to find out :death

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 am

It's difficult. be polite and courteous, and offer to do some free work around the farm. Most won't want you shooting a firearm so it will more than likely be archery only
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 am

it's tough. many that have given permission before have been burned. gates left open, livestock escaped/shot, high powered rifles whizzing around, somebody falls and sues the owner, one guy is given permission and 4 trucks show up, litter/beer cans/animal guts all over. 1 slob can ruin things for many. take some time and try to build a relationship, then wait to be asked if you want to hunt. always be thinking of what they want or could use. it can take quite some time but be worth it in the long run. I was fortunate to have a job that took me too peoples homes.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:It's difficult. be polite and courteous, and offer to do some free work around the farm. Most won't want you shooting a firearm so it will more than likely be archery only
I have a lot of work that needs to be done on the farm... only problem is I've got no hogs. Make sure they have hogs before you invest time into charity work.

:saluting
Bossman

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I went out and tried look for few places in Parrish.

First, I stopped by a golf course, didn't needed anyone.

Second stop was a huge potato farm. But the owner was already taking care of the problems

And third place I stopped was cabbage farm. Didn't get to meet an owner or even a manager but talked with one of their employees and he said they do have some quite serious hog problems. He gave me the number of manager but unfortunately he wasn't answering so I'm just hoping that I get this opportunity...

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:17 pm

I think a buddy of mine traps in palmetto pines. He use to get one every week or so out of there. Good luck finding a place out there. Lots of them already have people hunting them.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm

houseofmicah wrote:I think a buddy of mine traps in palmetto pines. He use to get one every week or so out of there. Good luck finding a place out there. Lots of them already have people hunting them.
Thank you! I'm keep trying for it. This place where I went (Cabbage farm), apparently the manager is the only person who's been trying to trap them but never really had a good result (based on what an employee said).

And currently there is no one else trapping or hunting wild pigs out there period.

Very close to my house as well. Like only 10-15 mins.

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:38 pm

keep tryng the cabbage patch. persistance. leave messages that your a pig hunter.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 am

Is it Jones potato farm? Hope you can get in with some of them, there are plenty of pigs put there.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm

houseofmicah wrote:Is it Jones potato farm? Hope you can get in with some of them, there are plenty of pigs put there.
I believe so. The owner was driving a Tan chevy silverado. I went over to a cabbage farm before that place.

CWFAsian1129
Tenderfoot

Post by CWFAsian1129 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 pm

Got denied at the cabbage farm because the land owner doesn't want any hunter even I clearly told them no firearm will be used period.

The land owner who lives up in NY, ordered 4 box traps and told the workers to trap them.

The funny thing is there is no one in that farm who knows how to trap pig or dealt with wild pig before.

To me, it sounded no different than giving guns to kids and figure it out how to use it...

M12Gunboy
LIfe Scout

Post by M12Gunboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 am

I'm sorry to tell you but 98% of landowners in FL are scared to let anyone ON there property in fear of being sued. Next to California Florida is the Sue capital of the world. No one wants to take any any liability, or perceived liability even if you sign a liability release form. Keep trying and eventually you will find a place with some luck, but it may take you sometime. Private land access in FL just sucks, period, unless you buy it and own it yourself or have family owned property.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master

Post by DONY1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:06 pm

One thing you may want to offer is to provide a liability policy with a hold harmless clause. Costs a couple hundred bucks but you can provide them with a copy of a policy that you will purchase if they allow you to hunt and it may ease some of their worries. Research hunting lease insurance. I believe there is a link on the QDMA site.

Return to “Hunt Lease Openings”