sugg. on places to camp

This is a forum where you can discuss all your Outdoor Wilderness Survival Tips, Stories, and Methods of Survival in the Wilderness.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

gl
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

sugg. on places to camp

Post by gl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 am

A friend and I want to take our wifes on a camping trip. We want to be some where near central Florida or a little north. I would prefer a place which is relatively remote, we would like to walk our tents in somewhere or at least not be surrounded by RVs and buildings. I have been looking at some of the public land web sights and many seem like they are just areas where people park there RVs and hook up to a power pole. Anybody know of any good locations?

trapper dan
VIP MEMBER

Re: sugg. on places to camp

Post by trapper dan » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:34 am

During hunting season that will be a little hard because most area that are remote up here are closed, you have to use designated camp sites. Oleno Sate Park just out side of High Springs has a hike in camp site that will probably work you can try checking it out. This time of year it should be pretty slow. You should see plenty of critters as there is no hunting there. But if there was I'd be there. Good Luck.

cshunter1908
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by cshunter1908 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am

You could try Hontoon Island its up passed Debary. it is a state park so you can read about it at the state park website, also there is a thread on it in the campfire. The camping area is all in one spot with primitive cabins around the tent site. And there is one bathroom building. There are about 5.5 miles of trails to hike and you can rent a canoe for 40 dollars for the whole day and go out on the St. Johns. You have to take a ferry to get to the island and its stops going at 5pm, so you will be stuck there through the night. No RVs as there isnt a road to get it there.
"Cursum Perficio" I accomplish the course.
Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 am

After hunting season, check out the National Forests. I think I remember in Appalachicola NF you can camp pretty much anywhere as long as it's not during a hunting season. Not sure about Ocala or Osceola.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Return to “WILDERNESS SURVIVAL & BACKPACKING FORUM”