Steak(s)

This is the place to post up your eating! Any Wild Game Recipes you might have or want to share!

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Steak(s)

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 pm

That is all

:chef :chef :chef

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Steak(s)

Post by Ironcat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I prefer a ribeye, but It's hard to beat a good porterhouse!

Star Scout

Re: Steak(s)

Post by 30.06 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:25 pm

i love steak! all of em they both look great !
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Me too brother. Publix had PH's on sale. My wife likes the filet's. I've perfected a cooking method now that will turn an choice steak into a prime easily
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

yessir i worked for a steakhouse for a # of years, from serving to bartending to cooking. i can make a sirloin as tender as can be.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:37 pm

I "salt" my steaks before grilling. I was leery of doing it the first time as you got a $15 steak and coating it in salt is scary.....but man, it flat out works. Steak is not salty at all. Just a hint of salt to bring out natural beef flavor. I used to add all kinds of crap on a steak, and never realized I was ruining them. Now my beef tastes like beef. Basically the salt draws the water out of the meat. You will be shocked how much comes out. A steak full of moisture is actually steaming and/or broiling instead of grilling
Here is the scientific crap explained better then I can:
http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-tur ... teaks.html

Here are the Cliff's notes:
*Take your steak out of fridge several hours before grilling time(gotta be at room temp before grilling)
*1.5 hours before grilling time, liberally coat both sides of steak in a coarse grained salt(sea salt or kosher salt/not regular table salt). I mean coat it heavily.
*let it sit 1.5 hrs. Don't touch it
*Rinse in cold water to wash off all salt and water. Dry THOROUGHLY. Wrap in a dish towel for a few minutes. Steak must be totally dry.
*I only add freshly cracked pepper. Nothing else.
*Get grill extremely hot, and grate as close to coals as you can. For a 16oz Porterhouse, I cook about 2 minutes, and make a quarter turn. Cook another 2 minutes, then flip. Cook another 2 minutes, quarter turn, close lid and dampers...let sit in grill closed for 5 minutes(13 minutes total +/-)
*remove steak, place in pan and immediately cover in foil. Let rest 5-10 minutes before cutting

Since I been doing this, I haven't had a bad steak yet. Try it next time..

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:50 pm

I just might try this !
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:39 am

unfortunately since my lap band surg I can't realy eat more than an oz or 2 of steak, almost 2 years now but it sure tastes good. I like rib eye for the grill, N.Y. strip in a ribbed cast iron skillet, T-bone/porterhouse/filet just about anyway and flank steak can be great also. most important imo, next to quality of cut/marbeling/aging, is the skill of the cook and God forbid don't cook it more than med rare for me. next to beer it's the second thing I most miss having. good hard crust bread/bagels might be #3.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “WILD GAME RECIPES FORUM”