Shrimping this week!! Yeah. It was good.

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Shrimping this week!! Yeah. It was good.

Post by fishindad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Last year I decided to try out shrimping and with only one trip out, I did not have much success. This year, things have been different. Why? 3 reasons, 1) Listening 2) A new shrimp trap and 3) fishing / shrimping logs.

I literally went out Monday, Tuesday and Wed this week. From a prediction perspective, the ozello shrimper site does a great job of predictions. They also are very helpful with questions. They key with shrimping is a good head lamp, moving "smoothly" with the trap, paying attention to the wind directions and knowing the tides.

Now onto the story and pics....

All 3 days, I headed out to be at the chosen location right around dusk. The weather was beautiful and the winds light. Its serene out there and all you hear is the wind, the occasional conversation and startled heron or fish. As you walk out, other folks out on the flats look like aliens as they all have headlamps and some are far from shore.

It was slow all 3 nights for me until the water got to a particular level but then, it was really neat. My only complaint so far about my new ozello shrimper is that its a silver color. It reflects my headlamp and makes it hard to see the shrimp when lowering it into the water. I think I will paint it black like the old ones.

Each night I was out for about 4-5 hours. The net was as follows.... Mon (solo) - 186 Tues (with ReelMojo) 220 and Wed (with TampaJim) 216. Yeah.. it was really fun. Plus ... VERY tasty! Its a great way to spend and evening and get ALOT of good exercise.

I can't wait for the next good tide set....

Fishindad

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Re: Shrimping this week!! Yeah. It was good.

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Looking good. My friend does some shrimping in the Indian River at night with nets and submersible lights and they tear them up as well. How big is the trap you are using?
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Its not big at all. You walk the flats and catch them one at a time. Below is a pic. Its from the Ozelloshrimper.com

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:01 pm

are those about select size shrimp? i was reading that they should be getting bigger in the next couple weeks. i am gonna head out and see how it is maybe this weekend. i have my own net that i made, it works out well, no buckets required. looking forward to putting a light on and hitting the grass. nice job fishindad.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”