lighting a boat for crabbing, and gigging

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

CitySlicker
Tenderfoot

lighting a boat for crabbing, and gigging

Post by CitySlicker » Fri May 03, 2013 8:43 am

I am looking for ideas on lighting up a pontoon boat for night time fishing. Something removable, and on the cheap. Any pics of your craft, or ideas would help. I was thinking some type of removable pvc rail setup with several 12volt lights. We are trying to set it up for June, july night time crabbing trip around Chass? Hommasassa. Any feed back on how the crabbing is in that area. Tampa Bay just is not worth the trouble any more.

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: lighting a boat for crabbing, and gigging

Post by OriginalCracker » Fri May 03, 2013 11:01 am

Have you seen the underwater lights? Their pretty slick and fish like them. A lot of people in boca have them at the end of their docks and they really attract snook.
These strips are pretty slick too. Not the underwater lights im talking about but will be awesome for crabbing.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri May 03, 2013 11:03 am

Clamp on lights and a small generator will be your best bet. If you just clamp to a battery you won't get much life out of it
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

FLQuacker
Second Class Scout

Post by FLQuacker » Fri May 03, 2013 11:15 am

What Allen said...we had a PVC deal set up with 2 lights using glass outdoor globes that sealed on the socket. Flip em down in the water...had aluminum pie plates for reflectors. Getting them in the water is the ticket...very little reflection that way.

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri May 03, 2013 12:55 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:Clamp on lights and a small generator will be your best bet. If you just clamp to a battery you won't get much life out of it
/\/\ This /\/\ I have seen those guys using modified john boats for bow fishing and they are using small generators to run the lights
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

dadsahuntin
scout

Post by dadsahuntin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:22 am

My buddy used very small LED lights 75wt I think.Ran wires through some PVC in a U shape for 2 lights that just folded from bow and into water. He ran these off of a deep cycle battery all night long. Off of the side of each light he ran 2 longer dead end pvc that would drag the bottom to protect the bulb. His set up worked really well without the need for a generator.

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Sun May 19, 2013 9:25 am

When I was growing up we used to just hang a gas lantern over the side for floundering. Bass Pro Shops carries a cheap lantern holder for $23. http://www.basspro.com/Lantern-Holder/product/807/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”