Scallops

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Scallops

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:59 am

Anyone get out for the opener? Heard the whole coast was pop up storms all day and the water was murky.

Got a crew heading up next week for a few days to try and get after them
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Scallops

Post by OriginalCracker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 am

Im out on the boat right now, not scalloping though. It's real windy, but no storms yet. It looks like its coming though. Got a little sprinkle when I put in.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:48 pm

I might be getting a little off topic here :offtopic but I've heard that a lot of times people will subistute sting ray for scallops. has anyone ever heard of such or ever tried sting ray to compair it? Let's through this on the table of discussion.

:salute3d
Bossman

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Bossman wrote:I might be getting a little off topic here :offtopic but I've heard that a lot of times people will subistute sting ray for scallops. has anyone ever heard of such or ever tried sting ray to compair it? Let's through this on the table of discussion.

:salute3d

I have heard of this too, and im sure it is done some places. Ive worked at quite a few restaurants (including some "famous on the water" restaurants, and you'd be surprised at how badly they fool people. First off, they are on the water and order fish from the middle east! The scallops they got were pre-shucked and came in a plastic bucket. The fish you ate was rarely what it was advertised as. For example the "grouper" we served was actually swai from Malaysia! The expensive vodka you received was actually a much cheaper watered down vodka in the more expensive vodka bottle, or they went in a corner where you cant see them and just used the cheaper vodka from its own bottle. Thats just the start.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm

What's the name of these restaurants?
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:44 pm

I won't say it's never happened, but I think it is more urban legend than fact. Stingray meat and scallop meat is not even the same texture. The whole "cookie cutter on the stingray wings" is BS in my opinion. If you ever tried to skin a stingray, you will know what I am talking about.

On topic, I got a line on where the scallops are. Now if my crew would get up here so we can get after them ;)
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:06 pm

blackpowderscout wrote:What's the name of these restaurants?

Cough bayport inn cough.... I got good stories from Quiznos too

OriginalCracker
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by OriginalCracker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I won't say it's never happened, but I think it is more urban legend than fact. Stingray meat and scallop meat is not even the same texture. The whole "cookie cutter on the stingray wings" is BS in my opinion. If you ever tried to skin a stingray, you will know what I am talking about.

On topic, I got a line on where the scallops are. Now if my crew would get up here so we can get after them ;)

I'm going out of homosassa tomorrow to scallop/trout fish hopefully before the rain starts. Ill let you know how we do.

swissk31
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by swissk31 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:11 pm

I've had stingray. I don't think they are close enough in taste to fool people. I thought it was good, Jay didn't like it. We always catch a few when out and they almost always swallow the hook. I cut the hook off and let them go. One time out I badly blooded two just bringing them to the boat and decided to try them. They have to be pretty big to be worth it, because all your using is the wings and there's a sheet of cartilage between top and bottom of each wing.
I know off topic. :offtopic
I have heard people are doing ok in most areas.

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”