Keeping 'em fresh

Discuss all your freshwater lures and Gear you use here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

SWAMPFOX
scout

Keeping 'em fresh

Post by SWAMPFOX » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:52 pm

I went down to my Newnan's Lake near Gainesville this past Wednesday and got into the shell crackers and blue gills pretty good on grass shrimp. Problem was after I tossed a few in my live well (and even though it recirculates), they died pretty quick in the warm water. I ended up putting those I caught in my cooler with my sandwiches and drinks since I had ice in it.

I dumped another bag of ice in the cooler on the way home to keep 'em cold but it got me to thinking about the new coolers I've seen on the market that are pretty costly. Are they worth it?

I have an older Coleman and a Rubbermaid and they do a fair job but I'm thinking with the heat being what it is during the day on the water I want something that is better.

Mr. Moderator, if this needs to go someplace else, feel free to.

Kortsman
Star Scout

Re: Keeping 'em fresh

Post by Kortsman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:42 pm

Those expensive coolers (yeti) and others do keep ice for days, but they are really expensive. Too rich for my blood... I have a coleman extreme and it does a pretty good job for me.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:51 pm

There was a youtube video where they tested a bunch of coolers for ice usage over a period of days. They added the same amount of ice and a 6 pack of sodas and checked the ice every day.
Turns out the best bang for your buck was the Coleman 5 day cooler. It was up there with the Yeti, but Yeti beat it in ruggedness.

DO NOT get the Igloo 4 day cooler called the CUBE. It is a POS and will not keep ice for more than a day or so. I screwed up and got one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

9dawgs

Post by 9dawgs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 pm

I have an old igloo that's older than most of my kids and it still does good at keeping things cool. It's not a 4 day cooler though. Those Yeti's look nice but I ain't gonna spend that much on a cooler.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Seems to me if you spend $500 on a cooler at one time or if you spend $50 a year on a cooler + more ice over 10 years... It's about the same except you don't have to worrie about some "a hole" stealing it.

:salute3d
Bossman

Return to “FRESHWATER BAIT AND TACKEL FORUM”