Citrus buck...Daisy Mae Found him!

Discuss all your Wilderness Management Areas here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm

I'll come back later and had a story to the picture but Daisy Mae found my buck. He was 7pt 15" Spread and 134 lbs.

Shot yesterday at 6:40am and found him at noon today at just little over a mile away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1jody256
scout

Re: Citrus buck...Daisy Mae Found him!

Post by 1jody256 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:42 pm

great buck and I am daisy mae will get an extra dog bone!

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Nice, at least you found him. But a mile away. Wow.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Glad you gothim and hope u were able to salvage the meat. Ironically my female dog is named the same!
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

hunter1005
scout

Post by hunter1005 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:13 pm

looks like Daisy Mae is a bit wore out in the pic as well.

Dirtroadz
scout

Post by Dirtroadz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Way to go! Good pooch!!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Bossman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Daisy Mae must really have a cold nose. That sure is a long way to have to work and find him but at least you found him.

:saluting
Bossman

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Congrats again man! Stoked you found him. Can't wait for the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks all!

Yes Daisy was treated like a queen the rest of the evening including a steak. The buck had been dead for sometime and was stiff as a board so the meat was not saved. But if we would have kept on the trail after dark, I'm afraid we would have just kept pushing him. From where we stopped last night he went about 250 yards more before expiring.

Quick Story...

The hunt itself lasted no more than 30 from the time I climbed the pine to when I shot the buck. It was just one of those morning I just knew I would have some action. The morning was a bit cooler than it had been the whole week and I knew it only took a little change in temps to bring out the bucks. I had hunted the morning before and had 2 doe's feed around me all morning on all the acorns dropping around me. They finally fed off and I ended up getting down around 10:30am to look around a little. I had not been in this area since I had did some scouting before the season began. Once I was down I found several fresh rubs and scrapes and plenty of other deer sign so I decided to exit the area and come back the next morning.

Back to Friday morning and the cool air...

Once I made it to my pine and climbed up it was already breaking daylight and I quickly pulled my bow up and prepared myself. I had just finished putting on my leafy jacket when I notice movement in some broom sage. It the early morning light I could see it was a big doe coming my way. She ended up walking right to the bottom of my tree, looked up at me and then walked back out into the opening then bounded off a few feet and stopped. Next I see another deer coming and it is a smaller doe who looks back behind her and then turns around and runs up to the larger doe. A few seconds later I hear what ever deer hunter wants to hear and the is a buck grunting.

Instead of following the doe's up the same trail they came down which was about 25 yards from me. He is paralleling then on a trail right at 40 yards but in the wide open. I quickly see his "stud" like walking and his rack and then he stops to feed under a oak and I decided it was now or never. At the shot he lunged forward and spun to the left. I saw the arrow hit and knew it hit a little further back but looked like a good hit. He ran about 30 yards then stopped, stuck his tail straight up and was gone.

I waited about 45 mins and couldn't take it anymore and had to see my arrow. When I examined my arrow it had some blood on the fletchings but there was also a lot of white hair. My heart sunk right then and knew it was either white hair from the exit hole or I hit him low in the pouch. My father was on a stand not to far away so I went over and told him what happened. Over the years I have learned when to start tracking and deer and when to wait him out and this would have been one to wait. I left my arrow in the ground and just wanted to see what the blood trail looked like and I found the first blood about 30 yards away where he had stopped. There was a lot of blood and no sign of a pounch hit and blood was great for the first 100 yards.

Fast forward to dark 30....

We had spent all day tracking this deer and jumping him 3 times even and each time we would stop for 1-2 hours only to jump him again. He even circled around us and ran almost back to where it all began. So at dark we were worn out and loosing our minds and decided to give him the night to die and come back in the morning. And my father and I knew we should have backed out earlier that morning and come back for him.

Saturday morning...

Dad, I and Daisy Mae made it to our the last blood spot and after putting Daisy on the blood she had a hard time at first but we soon found some more blood and stomach matter. Daisy works very slow and with the trail being cold she would stay on it for 50 ft then make a circle and pick it up again. I carried a small spray bottle of Peroxide was able to find small spots of blood as we went along to make sure she was on the trail. Finally after about 4 hours of slow tracking and thick vines and crap she took us right to him. We didn't even see him until we were 15 feet from him.

The shot was very slow and basically gave him a C-section and a lot of his guts were hanging out of his body. On top of that somehow the arrow went through his leg on the opposite side. During half of the tracking we had started to find stomach matter and in it was whole corn no doubt from some of the private property in the area. At times that corn was the only way we knew which direction he went. I don't ever want another tracking job like that again!

Just glad I was able to recover him and know how he ended up.

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Great story. Very cool you put in the time to recover the deer. What does the peroxide do? I am not sure I have heard about that.

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:01 pm

trouttouter wrote:Great story. Very cool you put in the time to recover the deer. What does the peroxide do? I am not sure I have heard about that.

The Peroxide foams up bright white when it comes in contact with blood. It will work on the smallest amount of blood.

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Another pic....

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:33 am

hunter1005 wrote:looks like Daisy Mae is a bit wore out in the pic as well.
She is 9 years old and a bit over weight like most Beagles. But once you show her what to smell and look for she will go to work....SLOWLY!

trouttouter
Troop Guide

Post by trouttouter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Glenn wrote: The Peroxide foams up bright white when it comes in contact with blood. It will work on the smallest amount of blood.
Thanks. I googled it after I read this. It is now packed with my hunting gear.

Great second pic. You back at it today and tomorrow?

Glenn
scout

Post by Glenn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:07 pm

I went back this morning and could have shot a huge Boar hog but let him go. It is just to far back there to have to drag his stinking butt out. I bet he weighed 300lbs and I thought he was a bear when I first saw him coming.

Had a deer come by about 8:30am but it came through a trail I couldn't see very good and never had a good look at it. Will probably hang out with my boys tomorrow and take them fishing. Back at it next weekend for sure!

Return to “WMA FORUM”