Illuminated Scopes

Discuss firearms and other weapons you have, you want, you've seen or you have other interest in.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Illuminated Scopes

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:43 pm

I have been looking to upgrade my optics setup on my Ultra Slug after using it last season for the 1st time. I just picked up a DNZ mount and have started looking for another scope. My original setup came with the Simmons 2x7 sitting in some standard rings on the existing rail that comes with the H&R. I never liked the scope and felt the existing rings were not high enough. They did allow the hammer to clear the scope but I never felt comfortable getting my line of sight correct.

Maybe its my eyes, the cheap scope or hunting in thick woods (maybe a combo of all 3) but I had hard time this past season picking up the crosshairs in low light levels. I am looking at some of these new illuminated scopes on the market. Realistically I am looking at shots under 100 yds so a 1x4 would work for me. Something with perhaps standard crosshairs & an illuminated dot or even fully illuminated crosshairs.

Anybody out there using one now or in the past on a hunting rifle? Pros/Cons? Any suggestions on models.

I am using a Burris FFIII on a shotgun and really like it but I need something where I can reach out and get some magnification.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:37 pm

What I would tell you to be sure it has is both red and green dots, because one works better than the other in the AM and the other works better in the late PM. Also make sure that it will adjust to 9-10 different levels of brightness because if it doesn't all you'll see in low light is the dot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Bossman

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Illuminated Scopes

Post by Iluv2hunt » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:16 pm

Pros and cons to illuminated reticles
I have a reddot on my turkey gun, and a higher end tru-glo on my AR (used to be on my 7mm, which I sold)
If the illumination is too bright and the ambient light is too low, the light from the crosshairs will drown everything out. Kind of like being in a lit up room and trying to look into a dark room
They do have a slight advantage in late afternoon. And I mean late, the last few minutes.
However, a higher end scope with a heavy duplex eliminates the need for lighted reticles. I have a high end scope on my 243. The only time it has failed me was last year before it was really shooting light. It was a black hog standing in a black muddy road and I couldn't make the crosshairs on him. I could see him in the scope but couldn't see the +. It was still so dark I think a lit reticle even on 1 would have drowned it out. But it was very early

On my turkey gun I have to turn the reticle on very low early in the morning, then increase the power as the morning goes on. Kind of a PIA really
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

Iluv2hunt wrote: I could see him in the scope but couldn't see the +.
This is my exact problem but more so at dusk than dawn for some reason. I have the heavy reticle in my Leupold but I mounted it on my .308, would hate to pull it off now. I guess I just need to breakdown and pay for another one.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 am

I found a slug/black powder BDC reticle with a fire point that caught my eye. I think something like this could work for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Interesting. Do tell more

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm

I can tell you it ain't cheap $$$. Its one of the Leupold Ultimate Slam scopes specifically for muzzle loaders/shotguns. The best I can tell, they just added the illuminated reticle (9 different types of reticles available, multiple intensity levels and will shut it self off after 5 minutes) and the SABR reticle "provides precise and distinct hold points from 50 to 300 yards, accommodating sabots with 2-pellet, 3-pellet, 12-guage, and 20-gauge ballistics". I just wish they would provide it in the 1x4 or 2x7 model, not sure I want to mount the 3x9.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
EST 2013

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm

IMO, a leupold or similar quality scope with a low end power of 1-2x with a decent sized objective & a heavy duplex will work fine for closer ranges from dawn to dusk (legal deer hunting hours). For true night hunting, it's a whole other story. I don't care for the haze around illuminated dots, but haven't tried the big $ versions.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Return to “THE ARMORY”