Making jigs and wishing I was fishing

Discuss all your General "Inshore" altwater fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

fishindad
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Making jigs and wishing I was fishing

Post by fishindad » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:54 pm

Its the fishing time of year. Trying to restock and make some new colors. Caught some Macks on the old silver standby but I can't wait to try the new colors. I am intrigued by the Green / Bronze and Pumpkin Orange.

Also got to use my new to me Ultra Minnow mold. Wow... that produces great looking jigs! Identical to Spro!

Water temps are up, the flats are firing up. Time to get out there!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Making jigs and wishing I was fishing

Post by treefarmer » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Boy, this brings up some old memories! Jigs are great for fishing just about anywhere, fresh or salt water.
Looks like fishindad goes first class by his excellent pictures! All the different steps, right down to the fish in the oven! Are them smoked mackerel?
Lookin' at the pictures reminded me of over 40 years ago when we lived in central Florida, I worked for a gov't. agency that spent a lot of time on the lakes, rivers and streams.
Naturally being on the water you had to carry a fishin' pole on most trips :rolleyes . An old Air Force retiree was working with us and he was much of a fisherman. I think he retired after 30 some years as an E-5, having been busted many times for "fishing related offences".
He taught me to make little ultralight jigs without the use of a mold. Bend a small gold hook 90 degrees about 3/8" from the eye and simply clamp a split shot over the bend. Then we would wrap the shank with thread to build up a body and add some deer hair, feathers, marabou plume or somethin' called mylar (sp?). His favorite was to use a peacock hurl feather for the iridescent colors. Then coat the wrapped are with clear nail polish. The split shot head was usually painted red or white. Caught many speckled perch around flood control structures that are lined with the granite rock. Ever so often a big ol' gar would grab one of those little jigs, never landed one but it was fun to make him come to the top before the 4# line would give up after it hit a rock.
This all started when we lost a lot of jigs and were complaining about the cost of the little No-Alabi jigs, when this old friend came to my rescue. These little home made jigs worked well with 4# line and little open face reels. Lost contact with him over the years after we moved to the Panhandle, he was old back in the early 70's and I suppose he has gone to meet his just reward.
Thanks fishindad for joggin' this ol' man's memory!
Treefarmer

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Interesting man!

fishindad

Post by fishindad » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks guys! I will post some pics later of some of the finished ones etc. Its a good past time in front of the tv and monitoring kids homework.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Star Scout

Post by 30.06 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:32 am

i am ready to hit the flats in my little blue boat myself fishindad! so far i have just been on the rivers, and lakes but it is time to hit the bay soon. those are some nice looking jig heads.
OUT OF MY COLD DEAD HANDS

Return to “INTERCOASTAL FISHING FORUM”