Gonna train a blood trailer

Discuss all your Bird Dog, Hog Dog & Hunting dog stuff here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

sam03
Ordeal

Re: Gonna train a blood trailer

Post by sam03 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:01 pm

$250 Ocala area
I like animals, they are tasty!

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:25 pm

looks like mix

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:26 pm

I would drag legs around the yard and at the end was a treat beagle loved it

born2hunt
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by born2hunt » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:20 pm

sam03 wrote:$250 Ocala area
Thats funny, I was in Ocala Friday picking ours out. No papers or anything but were getting him for $150. Parents are duck retrievers and blood trailers so Im hoping this pup has some sense.

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:24 pm

Woody got his first taste of blood trailing today. We both have some learning in this trailing issues. I should have put him on a leash so I could have slowed him down a little. I placed him on the trail and he took off like he had done this several times. The good thing is that he has really short legs and was easy to keep up with. It all happen so fast that I didn't get any pictures but I can claim 1 for 1 on recovery. Now I can use some training aids and do some real work on making a fine blood trailer. First question on this training thing is what s the best way to keep any of the blood? I'm thinking freeze small amounts and use as needed. what about using deer feet? Will this work as far as the blood trailing thing?

:saluting
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:28 pm

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 pm

I'm certainly not any kind of a dog trainer, but I would venture that Woody wont forget what he did today. Just be sure to let him be around when you're dressing the deer, feed him a little junk and he'll be ready the next time you put him on a blood trail.
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:15 am

After cleaning mine Thursday night, I kept some lung, heart and liver. I cut each piece into 1/3 so that i can use it on the end of a drag to start training. My breeder uses small pvc capped at both ends, he drills a small hole in the tube, fills with blood using a syringe, then places a piece of tape over the hole before freezing it. When hes ready to train, he just pulls it out, removes the tape and starts leaving trails for the dogs to follow.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:36 pm

I took the ears off the last deer killed and placed them in the freezer for training little by little. Today is the first day that I laid a scent trail down in the yard for Woody to trail. The first trail was only about 50 yards long. He sailed off on it and found it with no trouble. I had my daughter (Wife 2) take them inside while I laid another trail down. This time I made a loop around the yard that was probably 150 yards long. She brought him out and placed him on the ground and I whistled his on it and he took off. After he trailed it to the end he was treated to a very good treat with lots of praise and play. After the fact I was ready to go inside and end the training. He would have nothing to do with it and wanted to keep trailing. I went inside and watched him out the window and he ran the same path for about 20 minutes. he must have made 10 trips around the house with his nose to the ground. One question is what do I do when I'm ready to go inside and he isn't. Do I just let him continue trailing with out me or what? If I lay the trail at the house he will just go back outside and start trailing it. Woody did a fine job in trailing up the scent laid.

:saluting
Bossman

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:42 pm

He must be enjoyin' them deer ears! Just go kill another one and let the little feller do his job.
Treefarmer

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:50 am

Well Woody and I had a failed recovery attempt last weekend. I shot a good buck and it hit him a little to far back. Not to make any excuses but he was chasing a doe. Once a saw that he was hit a little far back I pulled out and went home to get Woody. After giving the buck 2 1/2 hours I brought woody in to the last spot that I saw blood and ponch. He took it about 100 yards and trailed him straight into a pond. With his short legs and deep grass I knew that he wouldn't be able to make it. I pulled him off and looked a good bit around the pond for more sign with no success. I went back Sunday and looked for another 3 hours. After 3 hours and 7 moccasins I gave up the hunt. I hate loosing any thing that I shoot expecially this one because he was a 7-8 point.Image

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Bossman

sam03
Ordeal

Post by sam03 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:11 pm

Dam sorry man.
I like animals, they are tasty!

Return to “DOG HUNTING FORUM”