"Her Money" headed south

Discuss all of your General "Offshore" fishing here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

"Her Money" headed south

Post by Bossman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:30 pm

WOW! For the first time in history the first thing in my mind this time of the year is not hunting season. Come Saturday morning we will be heading south with "HER MONEY" . We are going to Marathon for a week to have some fishing time. I am so pumped because I have never been to the keys and much less to go fishing. I have never been dolphin fishing or out deep sea fishing with the new boat but we are going to give it a whirl. Like every fishing trip I'm going with high expectations. We are going to carry the fins to do a little snorkeling and maybe some lobstering. I will be carrying the putter to load pics and keep posting updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Re: "Her Money" headed south

Post by jtcmedic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Well good luck and safe trip.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:15 pm

Bossman, Y'all are goin' to be ridin' in style! Nice boat! Look forward to seein' your pictures.
Treefarmer

Kortsman
Star Scout

Post by Kortsman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:02 pm

That's a nice rig. Ya'll be careful out there. The wind will whip up quick and make those seas sloppy!

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:32 am

We're going to hit the gulf side this morning, maybe hit some wrecks and find a few fish to rip lips of. Or maybe spear some if they aren't hungry. I was up at 4:30 and we're leaving at 8:00... I know but when you have a bunch of old folks it takes a while to get the geritol flowing. Maybe that's what I need to help get moving. I'm ready to climb on board now. We saw some fellers bring in some lobsters yesterday. Funny thing happen the other day, Father in law asked a young whipper snapper in a dive shop the other day where would he go to catch good lobsters. the kid told him in the water... The inlaw said well yeah but where? The kid told him that if I told everyone that they wouldn't be good spots. I have to admit the Kids name was "duck" That's alright, it doesn't take much reading to have a good idea. Remember you can fing anything on the internet. OK Folks! lets go fishing!
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:17 pm

20160912_110626.jpg
Well, sorry that I wasn’t able to give the blow by blow updates that I had promised. We stayed so busy that at the end of the day there wasn’t much thought about typing updates. Saturday morning we left home at 6:30 and started the big adventure heading south with Her Money. When we finally got there at 1:30 my hands were so sore due to white knuckling the steering wheel. I guess with my older age and having a new boat hooked to the truck I just was a nervous wreck. Anyway, we got checked in and decided to launch the boat Sunday Morning. We were lucky enough to have a friend that we knew very well that is a captain on a charter boat in Marathon. Oddly enough I had called him the Thursday before we left and he told us that he was in north Florida visiting home but would be heading back to Marathon on Friday and for me to call him when we got into town. Sunday morning we got the boat into the water and checked into the slip at the marina and called our friend JD. I mainly want to find out from him what tackle we needed and what was biting, and maybe some GPS numbers to area reefs that would give us somewhere to start. JD told us that he was off all week and would be willing to go out with us. Monday morning JD called me and put back the trip due to the weather and rain in the area. It set us back 2 hours but blew out quickly. We got out and fished for about a half a day limiting out with snappers and grunts. On the way back in we stopped at one spot that JD said always held 3-4 lobsters. He and I got snorkeled a little while looking for some with no avail. When we got in I started cleaning the boat and time I was done he had all of the fish cleaned. We didn’t get any pictures before they were cleaned. Tuesday the seas were 2-3 feet and we targeted yellow tail. We had good luck but fed sharks with about half our catch. I did tie into one shark that I fought for 20 minutes on a shark pole. I never got to see him because he had his way anytime he wanted. JD told me we could tighten the drag down all the way because the line would hold him. Little did we know he would straighten the hook out. JD said he was a really big shark. (like any fish the gets away) On the way in we stopped at a reef and snorkeled some where I speared a yellow jack the weighted 12 lbs. Wednesday we went out and tried a little grouper fishing in 200’ of water. We caught 3 sharks and 3 snappers nothing much to brag about bout I had the most fun that day because of the unknown and breaking off all the bigger rigged poles. Thursday we all hit the streets in Key West and took the bride on a helicopter ride because she had never been on a helicopter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 pm

20160913_141312.jpg
20160914_114618.jpg
20160914_120019.jpg
20160914_123505.jpg
Bossman

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm

20160915_125527.jpg
20160915_130701.jpg
20160915_154939_001.jpg
20160915_081228.jpg
20160912_182649.jpg
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Sounds like a good time
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Great pictures, Bossman!