Another one down

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

reel_spoiled
scout

Another one down

Post by reel_spoiled » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Another great Saturday evening in the books with my dad. They were really moving after the morning rains for us. Saw a handful of does and a buck on the way into the stand and we were hoping that the trend would continue.

This buck came in from the deep swamp on the edge I was sitting in. Heard him walking through the water again and he showed himself at 25 yards and walked right to me. No shot opportunity with him walking straight at me but he ended up walking right next to the stand. As soon as he was broadside to me at 3 yards, I let it rip.

Nice high entry right behind his shoulder. Must have but just slightly quartering as the arrow stopped with the broadhead breaking the shoulder/lower joint of the off leg and stopping just under the skin.

The deer was standing in 2 feet of water when I hit him and he tore off with the arrow. He plowed for 50 yards through the thickest galls and palmettos you could find.

After gettin down 30 minutes later, I walked to the point of entry into the palms. No sign of blood so I backed out so as not to gum it up.

Had a great guy at camp with a blood hound and he was eager to help and put his boy on the track. Started at impact and the dog started getting excited.

Dog walked right to him. 10 yards in we found great blood and the broken arrow.

Another 40 yards and he was all over the buck. Walked us right to him in less than 5 minutes from start of the track.

If you have access to a hound and are unsure, I certainly suggest backing out and letting the dog work his magic. Was very impressive.

He rode all the way back to camp Sittin on his buck. Good boy was rewarded with the heart for his hard work.

Great Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Co-Founder of DRY SWAMP Hunt Club

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Another one down

Post by treefarmer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am

reel_spoiled
Wow, y'all are having a great season! Good story and pictures, y'all must be hunting a fine place. Keep 'em comin'!
Treefarmer

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:34 am

Congrats, been having a hell of a time on our lease, the owners let some palmetto berry pickers in and they are stinking up the entire lease.
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks Gents.

Found this shed the day we were setting the stand up. If he's still alive, what are the odds he's still in the area?
Think it's his home range with a possibility of him showing up?
Haven't caught him on any cams we have in the area but maybe he's smarter than us.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 am

Had that antler been under water? Reason I ask, it doesn't show any tooth marks from the rats or squirrels. Kinda' odd for one to lay out a season and not be chewed up.
Hope he's still around so you can give him a ride in the back of your truck!
Treefarmer

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:42 am

It was not. Just laying in the grass. I suppose it could have been in water and then the water receded but I don't know as I don't have much history with with lease - having just joined in July.

I do know that the area is now underwater due Irma....but it surely isn't stopping deer from moving through there.

However, i did notice when I sat the area that there was very little "sound" / movement from the everyday animals such as squirrels. Maybe the high water and thick underbrush keeps them out.

treefarmer
Ordeal

Post by treefarmer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 pm

The reason I mentioned being under water, many years ago, say about 1972+/-, when Bull Creek WMA was officially known as Jane Green WMA, I found a big heavy shed in the edge of one of the creeks. It had been a wet summer and the water had been up and apparently covered the antler, protecting it from the squirrels and rats. It also had retained its' natural color, similar the one you found. All the other sheds I have found have been bleached white by the sun.
We have a piece of an antler that my father-in-law retrieved from a cows mouth. She was acting strange when they penned the cows and he retrieved the highly polished piece of antler that was some how stuck in her mouth. He's an ol' time Florida cowhunter and said it was not unusual to see woods cows chewing on shed antlers. He felt they were seeking the mineral locked in the antler, calcium I suppose.
I've got several sheds and all but that, one show evidence of rodents chewing on them.
Again, I hope you run across the buck that used to wear that shed!
Treefarmer

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by TerribleTed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:20 am

congratulations.

reel_spoiled
scout

Post by reel_spoiled » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 am

Treefarmer, wow. That's pretty neat about the cows eating the antlers. I guess it's natures mineral lick!

Amazing how they can sniff that out and eat it.

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Well done .
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER