Question for the Bee keepers "???"

A place where you can discuss everything other then hunting and fishing. General Discussion forums.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Question for the Bee keepers "???"

Post by Bossman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:39 pm

OK members here is the situation I had someone mowing my yard today and while weed eating they got stung by some wasp. They swarmed him pretty bad and bit him 6-7 times. They thought that it was ground wasp around a huge oak tree that I have. I was pulling in the driveway and drove around the tree looking for the nest for 5 minutes and never saw where I thought that they might be coming from so my self and one of the guys started walking up to the tree looking up in the tree to see if there might be a nest in the tree. We found a bunch of bees swarming around and about that time they started swarming us (we 75' from them) and I noticed that one of them was a honey bee. We got far enough away that they didn't bother us and started watching them. It wasn't 5 minutes when we saw a squirrel fall out of the tree and kick for about 10 seconds and he was dead! These bees had attacked this squirrel and stung him to death. Now they are not all hanging on the side of the tree like a swarm of bees they are just going into a hole in a tree like a hive, but they are some bad azz bees. We have 5 little dogs that love to bay squirrels up that tree so they want to check it every time they go outside. I'm thinking that I might have some Africanized bees, problem is they're 25' up a tree and I don't think a bee keeper would want them. ANY OPINIONS?
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Re: Question for the Bee keepers "???"

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 am

Well, two things is your water connection in the area of the tree, they may be in that. If in the tree 25 feet up they may have to be trapped out and then removed. But then you have that hive that will always be a hot spot. The could be Africanized but weed eaters alway get them going never heard 24 feet in the tree though.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 am

I did a lot of reading last night and the web said that they are pretty much like a normal hive of bees just when adjugated they become very aggressive and will attack anything moving such as small animals. They also have small hives that would make since in the limb that it is in.
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:30 am

I would be interested in what they find out about this hive. I have mowed next to hive and not had a issues, then I had a friend that weedeats near one and it Armageddon.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:34 am

How do it play out
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 am

They came out and sprayed the nest with foam and gathered some bees to carry for testing but I haven't heard any results yet.
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Well that sucks
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Bossman
Senior Patrol Leader

Post by Bossman » Fri May 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Well I guess that no news is good news? I never heard anything back as of yet, so I'd say that the test came back negative.
Bossman

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Mon May 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Well the weed eater will set them off.
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

bellyacher
First Class Scout

Post by bellyacher » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:50 pm

weed eaters, chain saws and such have a high pitch noise that makes them crazy. Most 4 cycle motors don't make the high pitch that gets there dander up. I can also tell you they do not like flash lights after dark after they have settled in the hive
Be polite, be professional, BUT have a plan to kill everybody you meet

jtcmedic
Troop Guide

Post by jtcmedic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Yes if you are inspecting a area near a hive use a red light. They don’t like led white lights
DUTY, PRIDE, TRADITION

Return to “THE CAMPFIRE”