Does anyone else find it strange that FWC is being so quiet about the new deer rules??

Discuss your Deer Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Does anyone else find it strange that FWC is being so quiet about the new deer rules??

Post by blackpowderscout » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:39 pm

http://tbcpress.homestead.com/12308-FWC ... anges.html

I've found very little about the February meeting except from a small handful of sites, the link above being one. This meeting was one of the most monumental meetings in Florida hunting history based on the changes, only some of which I've quoted below and yet there is very little talk about it on the few sites I'm on. Granted I do not have a social media profile and I am limited in my intake I guess, but I figured I'd have heard more from my friends and yet it seems I'm the one spreading the word to them.

I fully support the changes. I'm excited to see what this state can produce after about 3 years under these rules combined with recent changes over the last few years. I know it will anger some folks, but long term I know this is a positive step for Florida hunters. Folks who want meat who only hunt public land can finally stop chasing the unicorn known as doe tags. Combined with the antler rule, more of those young 2 1/2 year old deer will walk and I believe some really nice deer will start showing up on the books. I've used a very similar reporting system out of state and have zero complaints about it. I think we'll finally start to get some numbers that are more accurate than what the overworked and underpaid biologists in this state lead us to believe. They are very few and far between and I don't trust their numbers. For any species.

But I'm scratching my head at why the FWC has been so quiet about it.

Here's an excerpt:

"Establishes a deer harvest reporting system
•Hunters required to report their own harvest within 24 hours of harvest and prior to transferring possession of a harvested deer. After using their telephone or any internet connection to report, hunters will receive a confirmation number to record on a paper harvest log (if used) or to be saved automatically on their smartphone.
•Available 24 hours a day
•Multiple ways of reporting will be available, including options for hunters with no access to cellular or internet connections.

Establishes an annual bag limit of 5 deer, of which no more than 2 can be antlerless, per hunter.
•Commission directed staff to report back in 3 years with bag limit evaluation.
•This rule change is a response to stakeholder input.
•Deer harvested under the following programs are excluded from the bag limit - Deer depredation permit program, Private Lands Deer Management Program, Antlerless Deer Permit Program"
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

treefarmer
Ordeal

Re: Does anyone else find it strange that FWC is being so quiet about the new deer rules??

Post by treefarmer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:06 am

I followed this a while back on the FWC web site and read the points you have posted and I suppose I'm not knowledgeable or maybe not smart enough to comment on what benefit they will be. You feel there will be more record book deer and that seems to be the motivator, bigger deer. I suppose that is okay and with the antler restrictions put in place, certainly most of the spikes will have a chance. Anymore at my age, I'm just happy with a legal deer, if old big boy comes by, that's fine or if his little brother comes by that's fine too. Just have to remember what side of I-10 we are on here in Zone D, then we have to look in the book and see what's legal north or south of the interstate.
I can remember when Florida had a 3 deer limit, back in the 60's and early 70's. A 5 deer limit should not be a problem for folks that are law abiding citizens. The 5 deer limit will not stop the few market hunters that still operate. The FWC used to send out a survey at the end of the season and ask for information concerning the years hunt: how many days did you hunt, how many deer did you kill, etc. This was probably mailed to a small percentage of license holders and then some estimates and averages were produced to have an idea of hunter success state wide. They may still do this I just haven't had to buy a license for the last 7 years and haven't received the survey.
When I read about the reporting requirements I wondered if the FWC is trying to be like a lot of northern states, next they will require tags and then the deer will have to be transported to a FWC location to be checked, just like a management area hunt. All the rules and such make me a bit leary as a new set of rules will continue to produce more new sets of rules. Then some other agency will want to know what firearm you used and then we head down another trail.......I suppose I'm just a suspicious old man who thinks good folks will do right and bad folks will continue their wrong path no matter what the rules and regulations say and that our government is prone to fail us even more.
Sorry about runnin' the rabbit off to the side of your main thought, new deer rules.
Treefarmer

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: Does anyone else find it strange that FWC is being so quiet about the new deer rules??

Post by HCON3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:04 am

waiting to see how they FWC plays with the new limits. Can live with the 5 deer limit since it has been 3 yrs since my last deer with the antler restrictions. twenty nine days in chass last year and no legal deer seen (80 does and 2spikes) for the season. Afraid they the powers that be are going to play with their new regs they passed on going to be the same way they played with fishing rules and regs so will just have to wait and see what actually comes of the 5 deer per person.

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:02 am

"Establishes an annual bag limit of 5 deer, of which no more than 2 can be antlerless, per hunter."

To me this is very misleading - they should clarify that WMA's will still have their established limits (i.e. Ocala, Osceola and Appalachicola NF) - plus I doubt they would allow does to be taken on them as well.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 pm

Interesting you brought this up since I just read the following regarding the question of harvesting antlerless deer anytime during the season..."No. Antlerless deer (any deer, except a spotted fawn, without antlers or whose antlers are less than five inches in length) may still only be harvested during seasons when they are legal to take, such as during archery season and on antlerless deer days. Antlerless deer can only be taken outside of those periods under Antlerless Deer Permit Program and Private Lands Deer Management Permit Program permits."

So my earlier agreement with this has quickly turned sour. Basically they just severely limited the amount of deer we could take with no benefit whatsoever. There may be some size increases due to the antler restrictions but the total number of deer allowed is drastically reduced and in fact the average joe hunting public land during archery is the one who will pay the price.

I thought Florida had taken a step in the right direction but I was wrong. I admit it. This reminds me of the bear hunt fiasco. No one listened to the folks on the ground?
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

TerribleTed
Senior Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by TerribleTed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:57 am

All they have done is cut our chances. From reading the pages Wma rules still apply. Now you have to match it with your tags. So you may draw a doe tag on a wma but not be able to use it if you harvested does somewhere in archery.

tsdan
scout

Post by tsdan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:39 pm

Amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:46 pm

So your allowed 5 deer but 2 can be antlerless?

Is that about right?

tsdan
scout

Post by tsdan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Yes and claim them immediately via telephone or internet.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Wtf? Even if its on my own private property???

tsdan wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 pm
Yes and claim them immediately via telephone or internet.

HCON3
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by HCON3 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:42 pm

You can only get 3 bucks and 2 does with doe permits even on private which you have to apply for. I just downloaded the new reporting apps
for reporting any deer that you get yes even private. I put in for Croom and Homassasa which I got but have to see if I get drawn for the doe permits if not then I will turn them back in and just go to Chass which is a no doe WMA. So in affect they took away one deer and can now only get 3 busks but have to have at least 2pnts on one side. I hunted 29 days last year saw 80 does and only 2 spikes so got nothing for the year.

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:43 pm

HCON3 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:42 pm
You can only get 3 bucks and 2 does with doe permits even on private which you have to apply for. I just downloaded the new reporting apps
for reporting any deer that you get yes even private. I put in for Croom and Homassasa which I got but have to see if I get drawn for the doe permits if not then I will turn them back in and just go to Chass which is a no doe WMA. So in affect they took away one deer and can now only get 3 busks but have to have at least 2pnts on one side. I hunted 29 days last year saw 80 does and only 2 spikes so got nothing for the year.

Ok so your telling me i have to apply to harvest a doe on my own property???

JBUG308
Second Class Scout

Post by JBUG308 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:19 am

Cr0ck1 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:43 pm
HCON3 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:42 pm

Ok so your telling me i have to apply to harvest a doe on my own property???
You can shoot a doe on your own property during Archery season or during the antlerless deer season during general gun. You still are required to report the harvest.

I was originally confused and thought you are only allowed 3 bucks - you are allowed 5 deer - BUT ONLY 2 CAN BE ANTERLESS - you don't HAVE to harvest an antlerless deer - you could legally still take 5 bucks. It's only cutting down on the taking of bucks if you have taken an antlerless deer.

Return to “RACKS AND WHITE TAIL FORUM”