Spinning reel or Baitcaster??

Discuss all your freshwater lures and Gear you use here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Spinning Reel or Baitcaster? Which do you "prefer"

Spinning reel
75%
Baitcaster
25%

Total votes: 20

Cr0ck1
ADMIN HOG STALKER
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Spinning reel or Baitcaster??

Post by Cr0ck1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:50 am

What do you all prefer more in fishing freshwater?

I use a spinning reel all the time.. I also use a baitcaster. It took me about 6 months to get good at a baitcaster.. But i prefer a spinning reel. (Shimano all the way for any reel i own.)

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Re: Spinning reel or Baitcaster??

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:51 am

For all day fishing, I prefer a bait caster
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

bodysnatcher

Post by bodysnatcher » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:For all day fishing, I prefer a bait caster
Ya, but we see how you voted.
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:36 pm

I didn't vote :roll:
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

GoodOyster
Ain't as Good as I Once Was , But I'm As Good Once As I Ever Was!

Post by GoodOyster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Shoot, for freshwater a closed face spinner like a Zebco 33 will catch all you need! I've caught THOUSANDS of fish in all kinds of places using Zebco 33s - bass, brim, shellcrackers, specks, pickerel, catfish, gar, warmouth perch, rainbow trout, brown trout, brookies, blue kurper, buffalo carp, etc. For fishing a tight river, a little Zebco 33 on a little 3 foot rod is great for casting under limbs and bank edges! Man, I kinda miss my old Zebbies!

Nowadays the only reels I use are open spinners, but I can't remember the last time I went freshwater fishing. I used to use a Pflueger baitcaster and a Shimano baitcaster back when we fished the pits and lakes in Polk county for big bass. These were some of the earliest reels with the magnetic spool braking, but I would keep it set pretty loose so I could get further casts. I may still have those two baitcasters in a box out in the garage. I would probably spend more time untangling bird nests than fishing if I tried to use one these days!
"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!"
~Thomas Jefferson

ImageImageImage

hogman
Patrol Leader

Post by hogman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:08 am

im good with both and have no favorite but i do more saltwater fishing then fresh so all my pole are spinning.

TimE1
Patrol Leader

Post by TimE1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:28 pm

I use both but I like spinners but I do have a daiwa baitcaster that has a twitchin bar you press on it and it reels in a little bit at a time its awesome for worm fishing.

swampman88
scout

Post by swampman88 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 pm

I love my stradic 4000 all the way! but theres times when i need my abu garcia 5000 for pitchin and flippin cover

camoman5392
scout

Post by camoman5392 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:24 pm

spinning reels for me. less things to go wrong it seems and its fairly hard to bird's nest one. and it seems like getting a decent saltwater baitcaster will cost an arm and a leg compared to a decent saltwater spinner

lamehawk
Silver Contributer

Post by lamehawk » Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Bait caster by far is my fav but since nerve damage cannot use thumbs well so spinning is used but I always have 3 or 4 bait casters with me.
BYOB = Bring your own bait!

http://myworld.ebay.com/shad_85

Just in my camper!

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Fri May 28, 2010 4:22 pm

grew up using penn and pfluger open faced for trolling and bottom fishing salt water, and spinners for surface, switched to fresh water fly fishing in the early 80's when the salt water declined, plus we had such good spring fed streams and giant trout that few people new about or ever told anyone. then whirling disease hit the streams hard just before we moved to fl and haven't fished since 2003. with my vertigo I get sea sick on the dock,but have been tempted to try the fly rod in these little ponds and roadside ditches, I could get that floating line right up to the edge of the banks easy enough but my fly rod is only 5-6 wt and usualy only used 2-3lb tippets.biggest trout I ever netted were many in the 5-6lb class and hooked maybe 6-7 8-10 lb, but could never get them to the net.my older bro on the obx of N.C. still uses the old penn open faced ( like a baitcaster ) but can cast them as far as a spinner, all I get is a big birdsnest
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

vonnick52
Star Scout

Post by vonnick52 » Sun May 30, 2010 10:47 am

I can zing a 4/0 open faced reel a long ways but I suck at the "baitcasters." I got used to throwing the Penn Senators, Daiwa's and other large, durable reels cause we used them for shark fishing. I never had any real experience with baitcasters though, as I've never been an avid bass fisherman. It's wayyyy too hard to drink beer while casting artificials. My freshwater fishing consists of me sitting on top of a full cooler looking at a bobber....as the day goes on, the beer starts to smell and taste fishy cause when I catch a fish...I stand up and toss it in the cooler. I have a little Zebco bullet reel combo that I paid $12.99 for at WalMart.....don't need anything more for panfish/catfish unless you're catching big blues or channel cats somewhere. I need to buy me a couple cane-poles as they suit my needs rather well in most situations.

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 am

i spent one day using a baitcaster, it was a shimano cardiff. i got it figured out after about a dozen casts, and could cast that thing just as well as i could anything else. unfortunately i never caught anything with it. use to be able to cast the senator 4/0 pretty good, but havent done that in a while. i prefer the spinning reels but could adjust to baitcasters if needed.

FCB
Assistant Patrol Leader
Hunt or Fish: Fisher

Post by FCB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

i'll use my bass pro over my spinning rod anyday. but i still always have both
bass pro extreme. 20lb powerpro braid with mono backing on a quantum IM6 7'rod. \
mitchell spinning reel on a 7.5' medium action graphite rod 10lb ande mono fast tip.
Tarpon 120 fishing kayak.
other various equipment.

Return to “FRESHWATER BAIT AND TACKEL FORUM”