Lights for night hunting

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

kc45
Troop Bugler

Lights for night hunting

Post by kc45 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:12 am

In next month or two I would like to try to ambush a hog in a drainage ditch at night.
I have never hunted at night before so I need some suggestions.

I looked through my rifle scope two nights ago out there at the drainage ditch to see how much I can see. The scope is bright and collects a lot of light but it still was not bright enough to be able to make safe shot in the ditch due to shadows and dark background. It would be possible during full moon condition but I can't count on that. I thought about mounting a red light on my Marlin rifle but that is not easy to do it right and makes the rifle a bit clumsy to handle.

I thought about getting some of those solar lawn lights and mounting them inside the ditch. If I put one every 15 feet or so I should have more than enough light to see inside. With 8 such lights I should be able to cover the entire length of the 125 feet that I can see. I was thinking that if I get them mounted out there now and leave them out until I'm ready to hunt in about a month or so hogs should get used to seeing them out there and get comfortable to the light.

Do you think this is just my over imaginative idea or a viable possible solution?
Anybody have any other suggestions?

deutze
Second Class Scout

Re: Lights for night hunting

Post by deutze » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:03 am

kind of a similar situation for me, a drainage canal being used for travel,cooling off. I think a big reason they use it is because it is below line of sight, dark and they can travel unseen,jmo. what I did was set a feeder, rub post and pig pipe app 25' away from the canal so they have to come into the open to get the corn and they are reluctantly doing it but my stand is in a big oak at least 150 yds away but has great scent control as the wind is almost always in my face and I can get in and out without spooking them as easily. the only way I could see into the ditch/canal would be to set a blind like you are doing but the scent control and getting in there undetected would be a lot tougher. I might try putting some bait/scent in the brightest spot there and try and get them to stop there. instead of lighting up a large area. plus it would be easy for any other hunters/tresspassers to see what you are doing and possibly use your set up when you are not there. hope your blind is not underwater with all this expected rain.

DONY1
Junior Assistant Scout Master
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by DONY1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 pm

I've never tried hunting at night before but have read a few articles. Check out this link. You should be able to get something going from there. http://www.elusivewildlife.com/index.php?section=1

graybellplumb
Junior Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by graybellplumb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I picked up a green designator light that cost me $95.00. and clamp the is on my barrel. It works pretty good. I haven't shot any thing with it yet but the light works great.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:09 pm

I have enough trouble staying awake in the daytime. and take it from me those ditches are deeper than they look.

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:49 pm

been to that blind lately? still above water? I know my pig pipe and rub post are submerged 1 game cam is gonna be real close.

deerhunter
scout

Post by deerhunter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm

aint it illegal to hunt with gun an light a night??been that way all my life...did they change the rule or something???

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:37 pm

deerhunter wrote:aint it illegal to hunt with gun an light a night??been that way all my life...did they change the rule or something???
Yep
Its now legal to hunt hogs at night with a light w/o a permit
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Ironcat
Second Class Scout

Lights for night hunting

Post by Ironcat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:41 pm

On private property...?

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 am

I hunt a tomato farm and have a permit to hunt a night to hunt a night w/ lights. I even had a permit to take deer for a month during harvest.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:38 am

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

drgn4sr
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by drgn4sr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:42 am

thanx for the info 2hunt. never knew that. but I have only hunted and lived in Fl. since '59. life changes.

graybellplumb

Post by graybellplumb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

I need to somehow convince my wife I need all the nightvison stuff kemster has.lol.when pigs fly

kemster99
Eagle Scout

Post by kemster99 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 pm

graybellplumb wrote:I need to somehow convince my wife I need all the nightvison stuff kemster has.lol.when pigs fly
Heck yeah!!!! night vision rocks.... :chain
#### Who's your daddy----Hunt Team####

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”