daytime stalking?

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Devinv
scout
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Re: daytime stalking?

Post by Devinv » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Skunk Ape wrote:Is this the guy who's always advertising on Craigslist in Ridge Manor? I'd imagine the hogs are pretty shot up by now,they are not a dumb animal. You can only shoot so many hogs off of a feeder with a gun before they wise up. They probably know when you step on the property and when you leave. Where exactly is this place at? I live at 75 and 50'
Yea, it's basically at the intersection of 50 and 98 and the property on the river at some parts. He also only has two feeders on the whole place, he has about 15acre fenced in place where he keeps 15 or so sows to bring in the bigger boars and says since he put that pen in there's been an explosion of hog traffic. I wish I had pictures of how rooted up the place is, I havn't been hunting long but I know that theres a decent amount of piggys. It would seem they don't like rain too much, whenever I go it tends to rain. Like the guy that went the day after me ended up nailing two with one 00buck. Got a big one 30 yards infront of him and I guess there was another one 10 yards behind that one, A single pellet hit the back one. It also might be that I will go out and stalk the whole place and spook the hell outta them the rest of the night with my scent. I gotta lotta learnin to do

TimE1
Patrol Leader

Post by TimE1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Devinv wrote: It also might be that I will go out and stalk the whole place and spook the hell outta them the rest of the night with my scent. I gotta lotta learnin to do
I think this may have alot to do with it. Go out there late afternoon and stay put in one of them stands till dark.

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Yep. And if you do see some, don't shoot the first thing that you see. Watch them and learn how they do things, like how they walk, how they eat, how the socialize, how they pull security on the world on around them, etc. It'll help you in the long run.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:22 pm

I saw a herd yesterday at 10:30 Am. In the middle of a clear cut and it was already up in the 90's. And the one time in my life I didn't have a gun of any sort on me. I went to scout a spot real quick, cut thru a hammock, came out in the clear cut and there they were. The boar was laying down. He got up when I was at 5', ran to about 15' and stood there staring at me. I would have loved to have popped him with my 380(had I freaking had it in my pocket) :censored
Only had a machete
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Devinv
scout

Post by Devinv » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Iluv2hunt wrote:I saw a herd yesterday at 10:30 Am. In the middle of a clear cut and it was already up in the 90's. And the one time in my life I didn't have a gun of any sort on me. I went to scout a spot real quick, cut thru a hammock, came out in the clear cut and there they were. The boar was laying down. He got up when I was at 5', ran to about 15' and stood there staring at me. I would have loved to have popped him with my 380(had I freaking had it in my pocket) :censored
Only had a machete
380 vs piggy? i'd have my doubts... But on the subject at hand. It's really been cooling off sat/sun/mon might go out again if it keeps the nice cool weather going. Never thought i'd say that, 85 degrees is nice weather, lol

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm

A standing hog at 15', looking at me? That would be a dead hog......
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

xxbigjrm16xx
Troop Bugler

Post by xxbigjrm16xx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm

I think I'm with Devinv on that. I'd be kinda worried about an ethical shot against a wild hog at 15'

blackpowderscout
Assistant Senior Patrol Leader

Post by blackpowderscout » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

15ft is pretty close. If you can't put a round or two where you want it at that distance, you might want to spend more time at the range. It doesn't really take as much to put one 'em down as we sometimes think.
"Friends don't let friends hunt with inlines."

NRA Life
Want to learn more about Traditional Blackpowder Hunting? http://traditionalblackpowderhunting.com/

houseofmicah
Eagle Scout

Post by houseofmicah » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:45 pm

[quote="blackpowderscout"]15ft is pretty close. If you can't put a round or two where you want it at that distance, you might want to spend more time at the range. It doesn't really take as much to put one 'em down as we sometimes think.
+1

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm

blackpowderscout wrote:15ft is pretty close. If you can't put a round or two where you want it at that distance, you might want to spend more time at the range. It doesn't really take as much to put one 'em down as we sometimes think.
Exactly

xxbigjrm16xx
Troop Bugler

Post by xxbigjrm16xx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:29 pm

I raise hogs, have a small hog farm and have shot multiple from point blank to 10-15 yards and have shot em with 9mm, .45 and 22 pistol and rifle and they don't ever just drop and die from a small caliber shot to be head. I think your underestimating how tough they are

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:32 pm

xxbigjrm16xx wrote:I raise hogs, have a small hog farm and have shot multiple from point blank to 10-15 yards and have shot em with 9mm, .45 and 22 pistol and rifle and they don't ever just drop and die from a small caliber shot to be head. I think your underestimating how tough they are
Ive only killed about 3-400 or so in my life. Ive killed some big ones with a 22. A standing hog, facing me at 15 FEET with my 380 would have been a dead one had I had it

xxbigjrm16xx
Troop Bugler

Post by xxbigjrm16xx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm not saying it wouldn't of been a dead hog. I'm saying that I've shot tons of hogs and have even shot them while they were eating with the barrel right behind the ear and they've taken off or dropped and tried to run while layin on their sides and I jumped in the pen with a blade and cut the neck to make em go quick. I'm just sayin they're tougher than some think

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Next one I kill, I will back off 15' and shoot it in the head and take pics for learning purposes. I am interested to see what it(a .380) will do myself

I have only witnessed one hog get up from a shot to the head. ANd that was the crazy one that Cr0ck tried to get me killed on. In the hogs defense, the 22 shells Carlos had were so old they were brought over on the ark and sounded like my kids bb gun when they fired.

However, you are right, they are tough. I have lost a lot of them that appeared to be killing shots on in hunting situations

xxbigjrm16xx
Troop Bugler

Post by xxbigjrm16xx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:03 pm

I am interested also. I've personally never shot a hog with a .380 I'm sure it'll do the trick. Just curious if one shot to the head will do the trick. I'm sure it will

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”