CHASING THE WHITE WHALE

Discuss all your Hog Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

deutze
Second Class Scout

CHASING THE WHITE WHALE

Post by deutze » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 am

I've been after this one hog app 2 1/2 yrs now,trail cams, timed feeder, gravity feeder, pig pipe, soured corn on ground and buried, rubbing posts, diesel. and have been extremely close,being able to hear him/her, seeing rubs/wallows,prints,scat. 5 different stand/feeder locations, at least a ton of whole corn. usualy only hunt app 4-5 hrs in am, as I am needed at home at night and certainly not going after him/her daily and usualy not at all in the hottest/buggiest times. got home from Moms final days and had 880 pics and FINALY some pics of it. curious if any of you guys have any guess of sex or size/wt? the bull he is near is big and looks like he belongs in a bullfighting ring. (will ask Allen to post pics for me). I think I got him pretty well patterned, he/she is totaly nocturnal and spends days in a place almost impossible to get into with the wind just about always blowing the wrong way. it's torn up gates/fences minutes after me going thru them. don't have any night vision gear and would rather use a gun with a little more umph than a 223. I'm thinking of a possible full moon hunt with a good light gathering scope. have permits for night shooting yotes. the obsession part of A.D.D. is not always a bad thing. I don't have a death wish and wouldn't want to run into this thing on the ground in the brush at night alone and also have to worry about rattlers. any help appreciated.

kc45
Troop Bugler

Re: CHASING THE WHITE WHALE

Post by kc45 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 am

As of this month, you don't need any license or permit to hunt hogs with light on private property.
I'm have no personal experience but I would think something a little more than 223 would be better.
I would hate to have the hog run off after getting hit only to expire 100 yards away where you may never find it..

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood
Hunt or Fish: Equally Both

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Fri May 04, 2012 9:24 am

You should get Gunboy to push into the thick where he stays during the day while you wait on the outside covering his escape route to bust his a**.......
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Fri May 04, 2012 9:47 am

this hog didn't get this old by being stupid. even if I could get GB to push/swim/crawl thru that nasty muck/thorns/snakes/gators/otters/skeeters it has at least a dozen different escape routes. only way I could think of getting it out of there is with dogs and they are not allowed on the property. obviously the more time I spend there the better the odds of my being in the right place at the right time. unfortunately the place doesn't belong to me and I am lucky to be able to hunt it alone at all or I would enlist lots of help to cut off escape routes. it is definately a challenge and would be the ultimate accomplishment/trophy for me.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 05, 2012 12:39 pm

There you go Dave. Looks like a big fat sow to me. Probably around 180ish. Also think its been caught before. Looks like its ears are cut
I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. ~Colonel Tom Kelly

cshunter1908
Assistant Patrol Leader

Post by cshunter1908 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Man thats a big hog, it's cutters are growing on top of his head too.
"Cursum Perficio" I accomplish the course.
Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

nachogrande
Wood Badger

Post by nachogrande » Sat May 05, 2012 3:00 pm

thanks for posting the pics Allan. yeah like me she hasn't missed many meals, mostly my corn.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Triple Creek Reaper
Brotherhood

Post by Triple Creek Reaper » Sat May 05, 2012 3:44 pm

That picture gives you the clue you were missing, saddle up one of those heifers, ride in low and slow, that pig is used to them being around. You might be able to ride up to it........lol
3rd Tine Lucky Hunt Club
Bradford County, FL & Port Washington, OH
EST 2013

deutze
Second Class Scout

Post by deutze » Sat May 05, 2012 7:17 pm

I was thinking at some time he/she was trapped, castrated and had the ears cut. I know they've been trying unsuccesfully to trap it for some time, but it's too smart/wary. another issue is if I'm hunting alone I gotta shoot it somewhere I can get it out of and really don't want to have to quarter it in standing water.

Iluv2hunt
Third Beader

Post by Iluv2hunt » Sat May 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Ive got a big ole nasty boar I've been trying to trap for over 2 years. He doesn't do any damage to the yards. Just makes a cameo for a couple pics every night, picks up any corn kernels the coons have dropped and goes on his merry way. Absolutely will not go in a trap

This is as close as he will get
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davedirt
Ordeal

Post by davedirt » Sun May 06, 2012 2:08 pm

Put a little sow in another cage and put it up against the trap and block the sides that don't touch the trap. he will come into the trap to check her out. BINGO..............
STAY HUNGRY MY FRIENDS
DUG IN TIGHTER THAN ALABAMA TICK

ROLL TIDE

Last year I was a hunter and not a harvester........

Return to “THE PIGGY CHASE (HOG HUNTING) FORUM”