How do I bring them over

Discuss all your Turkey Hunting here.

Moderators: GoodOyster, Cr0ck1

Hoss74
Assistant Patrol Leader

How do I bring them over

Post by Hoss74 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am

In the attached picture, you will see the yellow highlighted land is mine.
The blue highlighted land is about 60 acres of trees (mostly pine)
The red highlighted area is about 60 acres of landed that was intended for development in 5 acre parcels but never panned out.

I have heard the turkeys NUMEROUS times coming from the woods and open field to the south of me, but have yet to witness any.
This morning driving to my house I saw an entire flock of them in the open fields (red area)
I was tempted to pull over and shoot one.... since my neighbors do it all the freakin time.. but I am not about to commit a felony for a bird.
The only thing I could think of was drive through with my truck and try to scare them into the woods then go home and give a few yelps and cutts.. which I tried with no luck.
The turkeys went into the woods but didn't cross over to my side.

Any tips or ideas?Image

DaveT
Second Class Scout

Re: How do I bring them over

Post by DaveT » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Spin feeder throwing corn .....makes all the difference on my property...when I throw corn, which is actually for the deer, the turkeys, and lots of them, are there all the time....when I dont....they leave and go elsewhere....couple of seconds in the morning and afternoon....might take a while,,,,but they will find it..
http://WWW.TampaTaxidermy.com

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.....but mostly I just let her sleep....

milkman
Assistant Patrol Leader

Re: How do I bring them over

Post by milkman » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 pm

In the fall a few yelps and cuts sin gonna cut it. The key is to truly break up the flock and get them seperated not just drive through them pushing them into the woods. If you get a good scatter they will be trying to regroup and will start to call to one another. Kee kees and lost calls will normally do the trick. Please don't bait or sniper them from a truck.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them." Denny Gulvas

Return to “TURKEY HUNTING FORUM”